Help me choose a stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tippytj2

Oct 1, 2018
North Carolina
Hello! First-time poster. I grew up with fireplaces and wood stoves and recently bought my first home and am excited to convert the ventless gas fireplace into a wood stove.

The history: We had a reputable chimney guy come take a look at our space to give a quote on conversion. Our home was built in the 1920s and apparently has an unusually shaped flue (15x5in I think). I was originally just going to convert back to a wood burning fireplace as this was supposed to be cheaper. But, with the weird shaped flue and the size of our firebox it would have required 2 chimney liners (thus double the cost). I asked what if we used a wood stove instead, and apparently this would drastically reduce the cost to bring the chimney/flue to code (more than half). So, this is what we’re going to do. I wanted to do a wood burning stove in the first place, but thought it would be cost prohibitive - but turns out maybe not.

The space: our fireplace is moderate sized. Arched, 30” high in the middle, 27” high on the sides, 36” wide, 21” deep at the bottom, 18” deep at the top. We have a 2x6’ hearth in front covered with tile. We would like to keep two existing chairs on either side of the fireplace, which encroach pretty close to the sides of the hearth, so the space is a little tight. We also have two young children and dogs. I think we’ve settled on a wood stove nestled part or most of the way inside the firebox (as opposed to an insert). This way we can keep the hearth clear and not have to extend or alter it to keep it to code.

The stove: Our home is 3200sqft, 1st floor about 1800sqft. The fireplace is in the living room (15x20) that has two sets of French doors, one that goes to the dining room (15x15) and another that goes to a smaller foyer/music room (9x13). My intention with a wood stove is not to heat the whole home, mostly to provide me a means to make a fire, tinker and relax, providing supplemental heat is a bonus. I’d like a stove that is capable of heating a large portion of the first floor but won’t cook us out of our living room, provides a good view of the fire, fits in the firebox and is simple to operate/robust. I grew up with a Vermont casting stove, and have also looked at buck and Appalachian stoves (local companies, we live in western NC). Our chimney guy has directed us to Jotul stoves because I guess their dimensions and rear or top vent options may work better for our space and be easier to install. I have to say, I do really like the style of the Jotul stoves and think they will generally suit our space better than the other brands. I’m thinking a catless. Our chimney guy has recommended the f100 (smallest) because it will easily fit in the firebox and our intention is not necessarily to heat a large area. I worry about it only accepting 16in logs and just generally being kinda tiny, but it is pretty sleek and utilitarian with a relatevly large window, which I like. I *think* the other Jotul stoves up to the F500 will just sneak into the firebox if we use the short leg kit. I really like the f400, simple single large door, can use open with screen (f100 can’t), decent capacity/log size. Some of the reviews indicate issues with smoking etc, though. The F3 seems sort of like a nice compromise and apparently has been around forever and is somewhat indestructible.

Can folks with Jotul experience give me some guidance between these stoves? How do you feel about rear venting them; does this affect their draft? Are there other brands I should consider that might even better serve our space? Will I regret a bigger stove if my goal is not to heat the whole area? Do you foresee installation issues with these tight fits?

Thanks everyone! Can’t wait to get burning :).

-Tyler

I guess my first question is how will you get an insulated 6” liner down the 15”x5” flue?
Do you have another location where a stove could be installed with a class A chimney system? This way you aren’t limited to tiny stoves and can have a proper flue.

Reactions: bholler
Take a look at the Hampton H300 as an option.

I guess my first question is how will you get an insulated 6” liner down the 15”x5” flue?
Do you have another location where a stove could be installed with a class A chimney system? This way you aren’t limited to tiny stoves and can have a proper flue.

Question 1: I could be wrong on the dimensions of the flue/misheard my chimney guy. I had the same thought after we talked but haven’t yet clarified. He was planning on two 6in flues for the firebox conversion and one for a wood stove, so it must be big enough and I think I just misheard. Are the liners at all flexible? I will confirm with him, but I don’t think he’s doing a hack job - he is reputable.

Question 2: short answer is no. There are no other exterior walls in our living room, and I think it would look weird in the corner next to an existing fireplace, not to mention the odd appearance of chimney pipe outside next to the masonry one. There is no other room it would make sense to put it in or where it would get the same use.

Just make sure to ask if the liner will be insulated. I see no way around it on an old flue like yours. He may need to ovalize it in order to make it fit.

Question 1: I could be wrong on the dimensions of the flue/misheard my chimney guy. I had the same thought after we talked but haven’t yet clarified. He was planning on two 6in flues for the firebox conversion and one for a wood stove, so it must be big enough and I think I just misheard. Are the liners at all flexible? I will confirm with him, but I don’t think he’s doing a hack job - he is reputable.

Question 2: short answer is no. There are no other exterior walls in our living room, and I think it would look weird in the corner next to an existing fireplace, not to mention the odd appearance of chimney pipe outside next to the masonry one. There is no other room it would make sense to put it in or where it would get the same use.
If he was proposing 2 6" liners to serve an open fireplace instead of ordering an oval or rectangle liner sized properly i have to question his experience

Guy is 2nd generation chimney installer and comes very well recommended by a couple people I know who have worked with him and independently from the local stove shop. I think he wouldn’t lead me astray/do anything stupid.

I’ve been rethinking our install and am now considering doing a class A chimney straight up through the center of the house. We actually have a great location for a wood stove smack in the middle of the house in the dining room across from the table. Pretty large area, would require some floor/wall protection, but would be a great location for a wood stove for heating purposes (double French doors immediately adjacent to the living room, open walkways to 2nd floor stairs and kitchen, immediately behind master bedroom on main floor with open transom window at top of doorway). Couple problems I’d love to hear some thoughts about:

1: one of the main return vents for the gas heating system is on the floor in this area and I suppose would have to be moved

2: class a chimney would have to go through upstairs bedroom and I guess be boxed in (based on reading other posts).

Do you think this proposal is even worth asking my chimney guy about, or do you think it’d be cost prohibitive relative to converting existing fireplace? I’m also a little wary of making a few monster holes in the ceilings and floor...Other than that I love the idea of putting a larger stove in a more central location that could actually function as a heater. Look forward to some thoughts!

Guy is 2nd generation chimney installer and comes very well recommended by a couple people I know who have worked with him and independently from the local stove shop. I think he wouldn’t lead me astray/do anything stupid.

I’ve been rethinking our install and am now considering doing a class A chimney straight up through the center of the house. We actually have a great location for a wood stove smack in the middle of the house in the dining room across from the table. Pretty large area, would require some floor/wall protection, but would be a great location for a wood stove for heating purposes (double French doors immediately adjacent to the living room, open walkways to 2nd floor stairs and kitchen, immediately behind master bedroom on main floor with open transom window at top of doorway). Couple problems I’d love to hear some thoughts about:

1: one of the main return vents for the gas heating system is on the floor in this area and I suppose would have to be moved

2: class a chimney would have to go through upstairs bedroom and I guess be boxed in (based on reading other posts).

Do you think this proposal is even worth asking my chimney guy about, or do you think it’d be cost prohibitive relative to converting existing fireplace? I’m also a little wary of making a few monster holes in the ceilings and floor...Other than that I love the idea of putting a larger stove in a more central location that could actually function as a heater. Look forward to some thoughts!
I dont care who he is what he proposed is a bad idea and wont work. Your plan sounds like a decent one. You will need floor protection but that can be simple and cheap. If you honor clearances no wall protection is required.

I’m pretty sure I didn’t understand exactly what he was proposing to convert the existing fireplace to wood burning - it’s entirely possible I sort of made up his plan. Sort of moot as we’re not doing that anyway.

He said it would be ~$120/ft for this type (2 story interior) class a chimney plus install, “~$4000 in a hurry.” It appears I can get the right DuraVent kit on woodland direct for ~$1500 with the ceiling/roof adapters and 20’ class a. Am I missing something, or does this sound about right? Sort of curious what other people’s experinces are with this kind of thing. I’m not interested in trying to do this kind of job myself with 2 young kids at home, would prefer to not burn my house down. Also start getting uncomfortable when the cost gets much over $2-3k for materials and install (not including stove cost).