Help Me Decide

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwite01

Feb 5, 2009
Ct.
I sold my pellet stove and I am going back to wood. I have a 2200 sq. ft. ranch to heat. I have decided on 3 stoves to choose from. The Lopi Liberty, Harman TL300, of the Jotul F600 Firelight. I am not concerned so much about looks, but want a good burn time and enough heat. I also have a second home in northern Maine that this stove might end up at. That home is appr. 3000 sq. ft. It now has a Hearthstone 2 in it. The home I live in as I said is a ranch style and the chimney is 8" metal, interior, but is only about 12' high, will that be a problem or should I extend it ? Thx

All three are well respected, high quality heating beasts. Go with the one you like to look at. As to the flue, give it a try like it is and extend it later if you need to.

Mine, on a good day will heat my house up just dandy. 2500 sq feet w/vaulted ceilings. Jotul has my respect.

I think you can't go wrong with any of the three you listed . . . but check out the Stove Review section here at hearth.com to see if there are any particular issues that folks have with any of the models you listed.

I've been burning my firelight f600 for the last two winters. I absolutely love it! Burns long, great heat output. I have the cat model so the top loader feature is very useful for loading an armful of wood, however the new CB model does not have the top load feature due to the tubes. The Jotul is very easy on the eyes. We always get compliments on the sotve when we have people over. It is a very ornamental stove and has lines that will fit both a log cabin and the upscale mansion.

We are going to be selling the house in the next year (or at least try to with this market) and I am going to take the stove with me for our timber frame and buy a new smaller stove to leave behind. I love the CAT model and they are becoming harder to find. Not to knock the new CB models but I still feel you can get longer and hotter burns with a CAT than with the CB models. The only down side is you have to replace the cat every 4 or 5 years which is about 120.00. Some complain you have to clean the CAT to often. I have found that as long as you burn proprly with wood that is seasoned you will have no problem. I have inspected my CAT every year and it required no cleaning. My chimney is a through the roof simpson and It is spotless after burning 24/7 for the last two winters. No creosite.

We have a 1600 square foot bungalow and I literally leave a couple windows in the house open because it puts off so much heat. It is usually 85 in the back if the house where the stove is and 80 in the front of the house.

Couple more things you should keep in mind. The new Jotuls F600 does require a hearth that is of a higher r value where as the CAT f600 models need no other protection than a hearth pad. ALthought I overbuilt our hearth and I suggest everyone do the same. Traditionally CAT models keep all their heat build up in the back of the stove due to that is where the CAT chamber is. This in turn requires a good heat shield to protect the walls.

So long story short, you will be happy with a Jotul, even hapier with the older CAT model if you can find one. I am sure the other stoves are good, I just have no experience with them. I hope the info on the F600 helps you. good luck

I figured I might add that I run a 13 ft chimney and I have no problems with draft. It pulls great!

Status
Not open for further replies.