Help me fix a smoke/draft problem...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon_E

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2014
SW VT
I have a Central Boiler 5648 with a problem that it's always had, and I am wondering if it is "curable". Let me elaborate:

Every time I open the door, if there is any hint of a fire going (everything from a few small coals to a full-blown late-cycle burn), I get a blowback of smoke out through the door. If there is any buildup of creosote, or the fire has been smoldering for some time, I can get huge roiling clouds of smoke and fire come out at me. It got so bad last week that the light cover on the front of the unit melted and I blistered the paint a foot above the door. I still get a fair amount of smoke out the chimney but not nearly as much. The chimney is a standard double-wall stainless chimney from Central Boiler, two sections.

I feel like there should be a rush of air into the unit even when the door is closed, through the open damper, and that I should get almost no smoke out of the door when it's open. There doesn't seem to be any significant draft. I've noticed that it has gotten "worse" since I've owned the unit (more smoke over time, and more fire out the door). I also have a cracked door which I am in the process of replacing.

Yesterday I fired up the unit after waiting too long to fill it up, so there was few coals and a lot of smoke, and I noticed that there was a fair amount of smoke puffing out of the damper louver in the door. I know that shouldn't be happening - the flow of air should be going in, not out. There were no particularly unusual atmospheric conditions that would have caused a downdraft through the chimney, either.

The only thing I can think of that might be contributing to the problem, is that I tend to build my fires close to the front of the firebox. I generally only use the front half. The firewood stack is about 10-12" from the face of the door. However, if I push the logs all the way to the back, it will still kick smoke out the door. Nothing is blocking the chimney - it's dirty with some creosote but generally clear.

Any ideas? I'm tired of getting a faceful of smoke and fine ash every single time I fill this thing. It's getting bad enough that it's not even fun being a pyromaniac any more.

The door opening is much bigger than the flue opening, that smoke has to go somewhere so in your face it is. No real draft to speak of from the short stack chimney. Most every one of these I've seen used has a huge smoke stain up the front of it. Unless you can induce a draft up that stack, a Scott Airpack would be my next purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.