Help me identify this VC Intrepid II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MattGi

Oct 13, 2017
Montreal
Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy a used Vermont Casting stove to fit upcoming new regulation (EPA 2.5gr...) here in Montreal.

I have my eyes on Intrepid II but the seller and I are unable to identify witch exact model is the stove.
The model # on the back plate doesnt' give us clue and I called Vermont Casting and, suprisingly, they can't identify it either...

Here are some photos of the stove :

If anyone can help, I would be happy !

Thanks !
Resized_20171012_162649.jpg Resized_20171012_162624.jpg Resized_20171012_162726.jpgResized_20171012_162737.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Guessing it's a 2070, but that's just a guess.

I think it's not a model available in the U.S.. The rear cover has that weird bulge at the bottom I've never seen before, and it does have the "short" glass so it's an earlier model...

The real question is: what difference does it make? They're all about the same inside except for the rear accaess catalyst ones, which are easily changed to the regular style. All parts are still available, soo...

I think it's not a model available in the U.S.. The rear cover has that weird bulge at the bottom I've never seen before, and it does have the "short" glass so it's an earlier model...

The real question is: what difference does it make? They're all about the same inside except for the rear accaess catalyst ones, which are easily changed to the regular style. All parts are still available, soo...

The stove itself seems to be in good shape.
My real question is that I need to know witch model it is, to fit Montreal's woodstove legislation (regarding the emissions).
Some Intrepid II are 2.1gr, some are 2.4, some are more.... Am I wrong ?

Thanks for you reply defiant3 and thank you also begreen for you guess !

Last edited:
It's odd that VC can not determine this by the serial number. What happens if you call it a 2070 and let them prove it's not?

Just couldn't help myself, so I went digging through old parts books. The weird thing is that big rear cover plate, whch is different from most Int. II's. The only model in the U.S> that appears to have it is the 1303, which should have double glass panes in each door and rear catalyst access. So if you remove the 2 screws that hold the back plate (it has the testing label on it), then you should be able to access the cat. All other I. II's had access from inside. This model was made fron 7/87 thru3/90 and in the U.S. was tested by Geisser Lab.s. I imagine this would be different in Canada?

So, c'est ca.. C'est tous bon?