Help Me Identify

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Frank H

Mar 30, 2021
New Brunswick, Canada
I have purchased a used wood stove and cannot identify the manufacturer. Can you help me? It looks similar to an old Fisher with the three tree image on each double door, but there is no manufacturer lettering. The distinguishing characteristic of this stove is the 4 vent holes on the front that the blower uses to circulate warm air. It has a CSA label on the back, so I assume it is Canadian manufacture if the label is genuine.

Thanks!

$_59.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, there were a lot of Fisher imitators around. I don't recognize this one.

@coaly ?

I would like to see a picture of the inside to see what the air tubes look like. This looks like a knock-off Fisher Grandma (maybe smaller than a Grandma... an Abuelita?) with All Nighter style air tubes.

I would like to see a picture of the inside to see what the air tubes look like. This looks like a knock-off Fisher Grandma (maybe smaller than a Grandma... an Abuelita?) with All Nighter style air tubes.

All I have for pictures so far is what vendor had posted (haven't brought it home yet.) This is pic of inside and back of stove where blower fan pushes air in thru back cavity and out thru the front vents. Bit of a mystery who manufactured it.

$_59inside.JPG $_59back.JPG

All I have for pictures so far is what vendor had posted (haven't brought it home yet.) This is pic of inside and back of stove where blower fan pushes air in thru back cavity and out thru the front vents. Bit of a mystery who manufactured it.

View attachment 277307 View attachment 277308
What do you want to know about it. There were hundreds of not thousands of places making stoves in the 70s and 80s. It is clearly a knockoff that is a combo of fisher and all nighter

Reactions: D. Hermit
That's really interesting. Thank you for sharing the pics. It's like Grandma Fisher and Moe had a kid and this is what it looks like.

I didn't like the air tubes at first in my All Nighter, because they are pretty much positioned in a way such that they will burn out at some point, so I felt like I had to run the blower to keep air moving through them. I think if you always run the blower when burning, the air tubes will probably never burn out.

Then I moved to a larger house and learned that when you run the blower it really makes a big difference with that stove, and probably with the one you just bought, as to the total amount of BTUs/hour it will put out. It also starts heating FAST after you light the fire because the air tubes get hot right away, so less time passed from cold stove to actually making a difference in the room temperature.

I hope someone can ID this one, because I would like to know who made it. It is intriguing.

Best of luck with your new to you stove. Please post more info as you get it, and I'd be interested in seeing more as you get it set up and running.

Reactions: Osage and Frank H
The tubes on the inside are closer to a Haughs or Solarwood from the mid to late 70’s...though information is slim. You’ll see I’ve found some of it and contributed a fair amount of pictures on my own through this forum and another on the Solarwood stove. My latest contribution was finding a Solarwood stove near me locally with a Haugh’s sticker on the back where I provided copies of the photo’s and posted to the forum to try and keep some info current and have info available to anyone who may be searching for it.

Search both names here and you should see my posts on the Solarwood stove with tubes inside the firebox.
The only difference being the fan in this is in the hollow back of the stove. The Solarwood had a hollow bottom under the firebox and the fan was under the ash lip like a Buck stove.

Aside from that, add bholler’s suggestion that the front looks like a Fisher a little bit, as well as the step top along with the “Solarwood” like convections tubes and it is very similar to both.

Seems like I recall seeing some convection air tubes inside the firebox of an old Ashley stove as well, but I think...though not certain, but I think the Haughs/Solarwood might precede it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank H
OK, here is what I know about the stove so far. The printing on the label on the back to the stove is almost illegible, but we were able to figure out the following:
GSW Building Products - seem to primarily manufacture water heaters now and based in Barrie, Ont
This particular stove is a Model 820 and may have been manufactured in the 1990's.
It says "Manufactured By City Me...." - can't read the rest.
I see another member of this forum asked about an Owner's Manual for this stove because they could not get is installed or insured otherwise, so we will desperately need the same. Someone replied with the installation clearances. I'll need a copy of the Owner's Manual, or at least a clear photo of a legible spec plate.
If anyone out there owns one of these stoves or knows where to find a manual, a reply would be most appreciated!
Thanks

OK, here is what I know about the stove so far. The printing on the label on the back to the stove is almost illegible, but we were able to figure out the following:
GSW Building Products - seem to primarily manufacture water heaters now and based in Barrie, Ont
This particular stove is a Model 820 and may have been manufactured in the 1990's.
It says "Manufactured By City Me...." - can't read the rest.
I see another member of this forum asked about an Owner's Manual for this stove because they could not get is installed or insured otherwise, so we will desperately need the same. Someone replied with the installation clearances. I'll need a copy of the Owner's Manual, or at least a clear photo of a legible spec plate.
If anyone out there owns one of these stoves or knows where to find a manual, a reply would be most appreciated!
Thanks
I find it very hard to believe that stove passed epa phase 1 testing which means it couldn't be manufactured past 88 or sold past 90

Just for extra info, the Solarwood was also made in Ontario, CA...so the convection tubes inside the stove was likely a “borrowed” idea from similar locals. I find it interesting they were built so close together with similar convection design.

Last edited:
I have purchased a used wood stove and cannot identify the manufacturer. Can you help me? It looks similar to an old Fisher with the three tree image on each double door, but there is no manufacturer lettering. The distinguishing characteristic of this stove is the 4 vent holes on the front that the blower uses to circulate warm air. It has a CSA label on the back, so I assume it is Canadian manufacture if the label is genuine.

Thanks!

View attachment 277303
Has someone had any luck getting tech specs by searching the CSA certification number thru the testing organization? The CSA certification number is perfectly legible on its stamped label on the back of the stove, and they would certainly have had a copy of the clearance specifications when they tested it and presumably still would in their database.

Thoughts? I'm going to try that, as I've struck out online and contacting GSW and its successor companies.