Help me pick a new wood furnace add-on please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I remember a few years ago people having issues with the Tundra and thin fireboxes cracking or something along those lines, but I honestly haven't been on hearth in a few years.
That issue has been dealt with...the new Tundra II seems to be fine. It would be a much better option than what you are running now IMO

Reactions: j7art2
I remember a few years ago people having issues with the Tundra and thin fireboxes cracking or something along those lines, but I honestly haven't been on hearth in a few years.
And just to elaborate a bit, it wasn't so much that the metal was thin (because its not) its more that they welded it too well. The heat exchanger was welded to the front of the furnace, which is also the front of the firebox, and the firebox and HX expand/contract at different rates, so being welded together was a bad idea...they just let the HX float now. Some people speculate that the metal was inferior grade too...dunno about that.

Reactions: j7art2 and Case1030
Personally, I think a tundra2 is in the sweet spot of performance vs. cost. You get a window, a 3.6 cubic foot firebox, a multi speed blower, and a large North American company for warranty and tech support.

I’m sitting in front of my undersized shop woodstove right now wishing it was a tundra2.

Price ratio to efficiency can't beat the new Tundra2. Just bought one a few weeks ago, more than happy with the unit so far.

Chimney needs to be lined and draft set for the furnace to operate properly.

Reactions: j7art2