Help me understand clearance decal.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DeeGore

Feb 25, 2011
minnesota
It looks to me like if I install this stove square in the corner, the back of the stove could be 10 inches from the wall if I use a heat shield.
Looking at where it says double walled connector with a heat shield, it says 15 inches for the stove pipe. The stovepipe is 3 inches from the back of the stove. Does that mean that even if I use class A stove pipe, I need to keep the stove 12 inches from the wall?
Stove model is FW300011

20221128_085712.jpg

There is no class A stove pipe. Class A is a chimney pipe designation. There are single and double-wall stove pipes. Stove pipe is what connects the stove to the chimney pipe. Stove pipe can only be used in the room. It can not penetrate a wall or ceiling.

The closest clearances for this stove will be achieved if the stove has the side shields installed and is connected with double-wall stovepipe.

The manual I have for this stove does not list side shield clearances. None of the FW3000xx series shows them in the manuals.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm going to put the stove at a 45 in the corner. If I set the stove corners 8 inches from the wall, I need to install a wall shield anywhere the stove is within 12 inches from the wall. Is that correct?
The 18 inches only applies right where the stovepipe leaves the stove. Is that correct?
The double wall stovepipe I'm using says 6 inches from the wall 8 inches from the ceiling. I'm running the stovepipe 10 inches from the corner and going through the wall with a thimble and then class a chimney. Does that sound ok?
I'm hoping to cut the hole for the thimble tomorrow.

If the stove definitely has the side shields on it, then according to the label, 8" corner clearance is ok. Post a picture of the stove to verify. It does not hurt to exceed that clearance for more peace of mind. The clearances are to the nearest combustible. There is no need for wall shielding if the clearance requirements are met. With the 8" corner clearance the stove pipe should fall around 18".

The double wall stovepipe I'm using says 6 inches from the wall 8 inches from the ceiling. I'm running the stovepipe 10 inches from the corner and going through the wall with a thimble and then class a chimney. Does that sound ok?
Yes. Follow the directions for the Class A chimney pipe and thimble closely. Ask questions if uncertain.

I don't think it has side shields. I thought it meant a shield on the walls. Would the 8" clearance still apply if I build a cement board heat shield 1" from the walls?
The chimney is duraplus. The instructions said to frame in a 14½" square opening thru the wall and nail the inside of the thimble to that. The thimble is floating ¼" on all sides with the nails snug. I think that is right but it wasn't too clear.
Is it ok for the thimble to go thru drywall? It's sticks out past the wall 2½".
Thanks for the help

20221205_193301_HDR.jpg

The clearances can not be reduced without the documentation in the manual. I'm not saying what you are suggesting is unsafe, but there is no tested documentation certifying the clearance reduction. 12" is not a whole lot because you are moving the stove out from a triangle corner. To be safe, take the clearance C up to 12".

The SDP-WT wall thimble provides a sleeve for the DuraPlus to pass through the wall while maintaining the required clearance. It is ok to go through drywall. The amount of class a chimney projects into the room is adjusted by the length of class A chimney pipe attached to the snout of the tee. A 2.5" projection into the room should be good. The interior portion of the thimble needs at least 2"so that the inside face makes full contact with the class A pipe.

Ok, I'll go 12 inches. No need to build a wall shield then?
Correct. Not harm if you want to put up one, but no reduction is permitted unless documented.

I called century hearths support line and asked about the side shield. They told me it's part number AC0262. I can't find that anywhere online.
I also download rev7 of the owners manual and it says 11" from the corner.
Anyway, I think I'll install it at 12" to be safe.