Help me understand reduced clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Username

Jul 22, 2019
Hudson Valley, NY
Im trying to get some clarity on stove clearance and reduced clearance. Clearance is pretty straight forward. If I plop my stove on the floor it needs to be the specified dimensions away from combustible materials. Easy enough.
Where I need some explanation is with reduced clearance. Does using a double wall stove pipe do the trick? Do I need to build one of those non combustible heat shields with the 1” air gap AND have double wall pipe? Will a heat shield air gap wall allow me to use single wall and set the stove to the reduced clearance? Looking for the least expensive way to meet the reduced clearance on whatever stove I end up with, but confused on how to be in compliance.
Apparently when I replace my stove I need a new permit and inspection from the town so I need to factor this in before the season is here.
Thanks in advance

Im trying to get some clarity on stove clearance and reduced clearance. Clearance is pretty straight forward. If I plop my stove on the floor it needs to be the specified dimensions away from combustible materials. Easy enough.
Where I need some explanation is with reduced clearance. Does using a double wall stove pipe do the trick? Do I need to build one of those non combustible heat shields with the 1” air gap AND have double wall pipe? Will a heat shield air gap wall allow me to use single wall and set the stove to the reduced clearance? Looking for the least expensive way to meet the reduced clearance on whatever stove I end up with, but confused on how to be in compliance.
Apparently when I replace my stove I need a new permit and inspection from the town so I need to factor this in before the season is here.
Thanks in advance
Follow the manufacturers instructions. They spell everything out

Reduced clearances are only permissible if specified in the stove manual. That is the guiding document. Stove pipe clearances are separate the stove clearance requirements. Typically double-wall has a minimum 6" clearance and single-wall is 18". Note that there is no harm in exceeding minimum requirements.

Reactions: Highbeam
What stove brand and model?

Yes, if the 1750 stove is installed with one of the double-wall stove pipes listed.

Reactions: Username