Help me understand return air vents

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Casadecorgz

Mar 25, 2023
Bath, ME
Hi,

I’m getting a regency F2500 installed in a few weeks into my basement. My basement also has an ERV system (in case that’s relevant).

I’ve been considering installing a register vent just straight above my wood stove into the main floor to help spread the heat and I’d love any input on the best ways

1) Do I simply just cut a hole in the ceiling above the wood stove/floor of upstairs and install a rectangular vent?

2) How should I do return air vents. So if I install a vent above the wood stove to help heat flow up, do I also install a return air vent on the opposite side of my basement?

Someone told me to install a duct going from the lowest part of my basement wall up to the highest part of my living room wall?

Is that so the cold air falls down to the wood stove and then circulates into the air return vent to then heat upstairs? Or am I thinking of it backwards

Last thing, my ERV vent intake (so the vent that sucks air out of my basement) is on the opposite end of my basement so would I install a return vent away from that closer to the stove?

This is all brand new to me so any info is appreciated!

Check local code, often the vent must have a fusible link damper when it penetrates a floor. The vent must be large enough to be effective. Is there a stairwell to the basement? Where is it in relationship to the stove. That is frequently either the supply or return path depending on its location in relation to the stove.

Check local code, often the vent must have a fusible link damper when it penetrates a floor. The vent must be large enough to be effective. Is there a stairwell to the basement? Where is it in relationship to the stove. That is frequently either the supply or return path depending on its location in relation to the stove.
So if you’re looking at my wood stove the stairs are directly to the right of my wood stove. Then when you go up the stairs it enters my kitchen. Would heat travel up and into my living room you think?

I also worry about my wood stove getting too hot if it doesn’t circulate good enough

The heat will definitely go up the stairs, particularly if it is an open stairwell. I'm not sure where it will go from there without seeing the floorplan.

Are the basement walls insulated?

Interesting that your ERV is set up to take basement air at its intake. Any reason for this?

Eric

I'm wondering how code would work if you just boxed it all in and went form upstairs floor and built a trunk with drywall down to the basement floor. You want a chute for it anyway to get below the hot air at the ceiling anyway or it the tend to get stuck with cold air wanting to fall and hot air wanting to go up.