Help Needed - Dimensions of VC Aspen Bottom Heat Shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ToastyInDE

Apr 20, 2019
Northern Delaware
Hello everyone,

I was hoping somebody with a VC Aspen could help me out. I'm getting one secondhand to install in my living room but it is missing the bottom heat shield. The local supplier said they're about $150 so I figured I'd make my own since I have access to the tools and materials. The only thing I'm missing are the dimensions and I can't use the stove since its not here yet. So I wanted to ask if someone with access to the bottom heat shield could measure it out and provide a quick sketch? I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

Hello everyone,

I was hoping somebody with a VC Aspen could help me out. I'm getting one secondhand to install in my living room but it is missing the bottom heat shield. The local supplier said they're about $150 so I figured I'd make my own since I have access to the tools and materials. The only thing I'm missing are the dimensions and I can't use the stove since its not here yet. So I wanted to ask if someone with access to the bottom heat shield could measure it out and provide a quick sketch? I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.
A home made heat shield even if it is an exact copy will not meet code. It needs to me the listed part made for the stove.

I was going to nearly the same. Spend the $150 and they can't argue it doesn't meet spec from what you would install as such otherwise.

I personally wouldn’t spend $150 on it even if it came with an Aspen.. no offense, but it isn’t a great stove. Is it free?

If you can't locate one, make a template out of cardboard and play with it until it fits well and provides full coverage.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn’t spend $150 on it even if it came with an Aspen.. no offense, but it isn’t a great stove. Is it free?
Yes, it's free. Wouldn't be my first choice of stove but can't argue with $0.

If you can't locate one, make a template out of cardboard and play with it until it fits well and provides full coverage.
Great idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's free. Wouldn't be my first choice of stove but can't argue with $0.

Great idea.
Making a template like that will work and should be safe. But an inspector could fail it if they wanted to

Reactions: webby3650
Especially in the event of a house fire. They will look for any reason to not cover it.

That would be an astute inspector assuming a good job is done on matching the original. This has not been my experience.

That would be an astute inspector assuming a good job is done on matching the original. This has not been my experience.
I agree the chances of a code inspector catching it are very slim.

But like Webby said an insurance adjuster or expert for the insurance company probably would.

Dubious, it depends on how much evidence was left and perhaps whether the fire was hearth related. If it was a chimney fire they would most likely stop there. Again, it would take an astute individual to catch this.

Dubious, it depends on how much evidence was left and perhaps whether the fire was hearth related. If it was a chimney fire they would most likely stop there. Again, it would take an astute individual to catch this.
As one who has done investigations after fires on behalf of insurance companies believe me altering a ul listed appliance from the as tested condition can matter a great deal.

At times I am sure that is correct. And at other times not as much. It depends on the circumstances, the underwriter, the amount of damages and whether the alteration is noticed and applicable to the incident, correct? If there is a fire in the kitchen are they going to be looking at the woodstove?

At times I am sure that is correct. And at other times not as much. It depends on the circumstances, the underwriter, the amount of damages and whether the alteration is noticed and applicable to the incident, correct? If there is a fire in the kitchen are they going to be looking at the woodstove?
If the fire is related to the stove in any way it can matter.

As one who has done investigations after fires on behalf of insurance companies believe me altering a ul listed appliance from the as tested condition can matter a great deal.
I found another VC supplier who said the shield would cost $89 instead of $150. Considering that a large-enough piece sheet metal from the hardware store is nearly $40, at this point it's not worth the hassle and liability to attempt a DIY. I'm just going to get the manufacturer's shield and call it a day.

Reactions: begreen and bholler
I found another VC supplier who said the shield would cost $89 instead of $150. Considering that a large-enough piece sheet metal from the hardware store is nearly $40, at this point it's not worth the hassle and liability to attempt a DIY. I'm just going to get the manufacturer's shield and call it a day.
That is a much more reasonable price.