Help needed wiring an external room fan to turn on/off with stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pinnacle114

Dec 13, 2022
Providence, RI
Hi my name is Thomas and I am new to this forum. I have an external fan to transfer warm air down the hallway of my ranch house. this helps regulate even temperature throughout the house. The Pellet stove I am using is a Harman XXV. The fan is currently plugged in to a wall outlet. I would like to grab power from the stove wires (blower motor) and connect it to the fan. this will kill power to the fan when stove is not in use and turn fan on automatically when blower motor turns on. The fan I am using is Suncort room to room fan, specifications are...120 Volt, 20-40 watts, 0.75 amps, 60 HZ. Does anyone see a problem with what I am trying to achieve?

Last edited:
Hi my name is Thomas and I am new to this forum. I have an external fan to transfer warm air down the hallway of my ranch house. this helps regulate even temperature throughout the house. The Pellet stove I am using is a Harman XXV. The fan is currently plugged in to a wall outlet. I would like to grab power from the stove wires (blower motor) and connect it to the fan. this will kill power to the fan when stove is not in use and turn fan on automatically when blower motor turns on. The fan I am using is Suncort room to room fan, specifications are...120 Volt, 20-40 watts, 0.75 amps, 60 HZ. Does anyone see a problem with what I am trying to achieve?
Below would work with my simple stove. However I don’t know if it would mess with the expensive electronics in a Harman. Others here would know more.

I think one of those smart power strips would work (I have one). In parallel with the exhaust or room blower motor, tie in a cord that will plug into the control outlet. The smart power strip will ignore vampire loads, but when the motor actually kicks on, it turns on other outlets in the strip. Plug your hallway fan into one of those outlets.

I would do that before connecting an external fan directly to the motor wires. You’d be pulling extra current from the board and may kill it prematurely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinnacle114
If you are asking to use the Harman to just switch a relay to allow the fan to turn on I say go for it. If you are wanting to power the fan from the Harman I'd say neigh. But somebody else will no more as I don't own one

Below would work with my simple stove. However I don’t know if it would mess with the expensive electronics in a Harman. Others here would know more.

I think one of those smart power strips would work (I have one). In parallel with the exhaust or room blower motor, tie in a cord that will plug into the control outlet. The smart power strip will ignore vampire loads, but when the motor actually kicks on, it turns on other outlets in the strip. Plug your hallway fan into one of those outlets.

I would do that before connecting an external fan directly to the motor wires. You’d be pulling extra current from the board and may kill it prematurely.
Thank you for your input, I greatly appreciate your help!

Thank you for your input. I will look into the smart power switch. I would use the power from the stove but I fear the Harman may detect the extra amperage load and cause a problem with my stove.

If you are asking to use the Harman to just switch a relay to allow the fan to turn on I say go for it. If you are wanting to power the fan from the Harman I'd say neigh. But somebody else will no more as I don't own one
Thank you for your help, I think it is best to do the relay method. I think if I use the power from the stove the extra amperage load may be detected and cause some error in the stove. I just have to figure out the relay option.

Excellent, thank you for the help.
I will definitely get this power strip and set it up. It will be nice to have the fan shut off when the stove is off. I also like the fact that I don’t have to modify anything within my Harman stove. I greatly appreciate you reaching out to me.

The strop will owrk but the fan will come on as soon as the stove does and not sure there is not power being puled by the stove all the time. If you run it in manual the fan will be on all the time. I would go with a relay and power the fan.

Wire the fan into a thermostat, that way it’ll come on at a set temperature and shut off below the set temperature

Not hard, but can be annoying or expensive.
First way, wire in a 120v relay to blower in stove, to turn on a set of contacts for remote fan, BUT then you would have to run 120v wires over to that fan(pain)
Second, look at the link, get a set, wire stove fan to tell receiver to come on when it sees voltage. So, a bit of wiring at the stove, and more at the fan, but wireless.

They also make units in other configurations, so check website well before deciding--

If it was me i would just leave the fan on low and let it run. Never hurts to have a fan running to circulate the air anyway. I have multiple fans just running on low to keep air flow moving and the hit on my hydro is so small i don't even notice.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Trying to use the disribution blower circuit for a relay probably would not work since the circuit controls fan speed with sending more or less voltage to adjust fan speed. A relay would have a 120v coil that may chatter as the fan speed ramps up. I dont have experience with load sensing power strips. I wonder if you could send line voltage off the incoming power of the stove to one side of the relay coil and tap into the neutral coming off the vac switch to the other side of the coil and basically break the neutral to the relay when the comb blower fan shuts off? Then power and load of the fan can be run independent so not to interior with stove function. That is how the auger and igniter are shut down if the door gets opened. Then run independent power thru the relay for powering the added fan only

I don’t have a Harman, but my stove has 120v present at the blowers anytime the stove is plugged in. It will run LEDs.

My experience with a smart power strip is it will disregard low level vampire loads, but will switch when you turn the device on. I don’t know what the cutoff is, but it works with my TV. I haven’t tried it with my pellet stove. I could try it later tonight and see what happens.

I agree, it might be better to run the fan independently to keep the air circulating for awhile.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Trying to use the disribution blower circuit for a relay probably would not work since the circuit controls fan speed with sending more or less voltage to adjust fan speed. A relay would have a 120v coil that may chatter as the fan speed ramps up. I dont have experience with load sensing power strips. I wonder if you could send line voltage off the incoming power of the stove to one side of the relay coil and tap into the neutral coming off the vac switch to the other side of the coil and basically break the neutral to the relay when the comb blower fan shuts off? Then power and load of the fan can be run independent so not to interior with stove function. That is how the auger and igniter are shut down if the door gets opened. Then run independent power thru the relay for powering the added fan only
You don't use the fan circuit to power the relay or control, in the devices I posted.

do you have an extra 120v outlet buy the stove? get an extention cord to reach then. order one of these.magnetic snap disc take and mount it on the combustion blower housing, wire it in series with one of the wires in the extention cord (cutting into extention) tape connections well andrun your cord to the fan. when stove reaches 100 deg it will turn on the fan. i will make a diagram tonight

You guys are overthinking this....$9 for the load-sensing power strip from Amazon, 1 minute to plug the stove and fan in...done....and UL listed!

I have used power sensing strips before, they work fine. This one has adjustable trip sensitivity levels.

You guys are overthinking this....$9 for the load-sensing power strip from Amazon, 1 minute to plug the stove and fan in...done....and UL listed!

I have used power sensing strips before, they work fine. This one has adjustable trip sensitivity levels.
I agree, but some, like me, would not want an extra cord to trip over, or hang, so I pointed out a wireless way.

The smart/load sensing technology is something I need to learn about. Im sure I can find other uses for it.