Help needed with log splitter problem.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexcard

Jul 28, 2008
Ky
Huskee 22 ton with 6.5 B&S;engine. Engine runs and starts fine when beginning to split. After a few minutes it will start to run rough and die.
Does not matter if its under load or not. Sometimes I can reduce the throttle and keep splitting eventually increasing back to full throttle. This does not always work.
If it does die if I let it sit for a couple of minutes and it will do fine after restarting, however it will do the same thing in a few minutes of operation. Its been doing this since I bought it new a year ago. Air filter is like new, as well as, the spark plug. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Fuel filter? Prehaps plugged with muck from the factory. Remove it, backwash it, let a little gas drain out of the line from the tank, resinstall. Worth a try.

Do you have a low oil shutdown on the briggs? These are either floats or pressure switches and I've had them fail.

Otherwise a heat induced shut down can be an ignition component that would result in no-spark when something gets hot. This would be much harder to fix.

All the things highbeam said and also check the gas cap that it is venting.

THanks for the replies I will look at these items. How do you check the gas cap for venting issues? I am not letting the engine cool at all when I let it sit a minute or two. Seems to me that heat issues would still be present for at least ten minutes after it initially dies. I

Check the bowl on the carb sounds like some junk floating around in there plugging the main jet. Also remove the main jet and clean with carb cleaner.

How old is the gas also? Is it last years or fresh? Sounds like a fuel problem but definately check the engine oil to make sure it's not low either.

My lawn mower was doing the same thing and it was the gas cap vent that was clogged.I would let it sit for a couple minutes and it would fire right up again after enough air got back in the tank. I checked a ton of stuff before I figured that out.

oh to see if thats the problem I just took off the cap so that air can get in. splashes a bit so there might be a better way to check. just loosen maybe. if not dont have a full tank. after I found that was the problem I just sprayed it with cleaner and blew it out with air.

Gas cap check is highly technical, first start motor, when sputtering occurs you, ready, pay attention, loosen the cap to see if there is a vacuum, thats it you have it :lol: Sorry was out for a while. Any luck with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.