Help needed with replacement wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lwolf2

Nov 4, 2014
Maine
We bought a fixer upper home in Maine last year and it came with a huge older wood stove, the Waterford 103, which has been described both by our home inspector and an energy efficiency consultant as a "beast". The home has another, old, Franklin stove as well as a baseboard oil fired heating system, so our primary interest is fire viewing and secondary or backup heating system. Unfortunately, this stove has no glass doors, although a nice door grate. I understand that glass doors were once available, but the closest US distributor I can find is in Ohio, and they did not even bother to answer any questions I sent to them about replacement parts. The manufacture doesn't have any information at all about this model on their website.

The stove backs up to a substantial brick chimney, but I think that even the side clearances are not in spec or really safe. There are two built in wood bookcases on either side of the chimney about 12 inches from the stove corners.

So, we are thinking about replacement. I'm interested in the Osburn 2200, due to the great viewing area, but one of the things about the existing stove is that it is very narrow in depth and the wife doesn't want a stove that comes out any further into the living space. I measure the outside stove depth to be about 19 inches, although the stove is also very wide, 32 inches or so. Does anyone have recommendations on good stoves with similar dimensions? The current stove is about 8 inches from the back wall / chimney and I understand that a lot of the newer stoves can get much closer with the proper double walled pipe, but still, overall dimensions shouldn't be more than 27-30 inches deep, including back clearance, with a nice wide viewing area. Does such a thing exist? Most of the mid sized or larger stoves I've looked at so far seem to be much more square in dimension than this old Waterford.

Look at the Kuma line of wood stoves.With double wall stove pipe it can get as close as six inches.

The distance to the back wall will depend on its construction. If there are no combustibles in it then you can back the stove right against it. If there is a stud wall behind it then the measurement is to the studs (the nearest combustible), not the outer edge of the stone. The 2200 is a good choice. You will appreciate the deeper firebox. Make a cardboard mockup of the stove to check fit.

Are those bookcases protruding in the room and affecting your side clearances? If yes, the Osburn 2200 may not fit either because it needs 17" on each side for a total of 60". From your description it sounds like you have only ~56". It would be great if you can measure out how wide your stove space is and how much the stove can potentially protrude into the room. A picture would also help. I am wondering whether the Quadrafire Explorer 2 would be a good option for you.

How many sqft do you want to heat with the stove? And what kind of chimney system do you have currently?

Status
Not open for further replies.