Help on selecting a Steel Stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pug

Jan 11, 2016
Boise, Idaho
I am still investigating, looking and trying to select a new wood stove. I have primarily been looking at Cast or Steel with Cast skirts. Some nice stoves out there like the Jotul F50, F500, Pacific energy 5 etc. but they are up in $2700 to $3200 range. My new stove would go in my 1,500 sq ft daylight basement (1,500 up) to supplement the heat down there for guests or as a back up heat and cooking source if the power goes out.

I am really stretching my budget for something that maybe don't need to be quite as fancy as some of those I have looked at. Heating, cooking, a 2.6 ' firebox minimum, good EPA figures, etc. I don't want a low quality China stove but something that will be good. I have had two steel stoves and a pellet stove in the past and have cut split and stored wood for years.

Please give me some advice on what to buy and your experiences. Thank you in advance. Pug

What abouts is your price range?

Well meeting your requirements of 2.6+ cuft and cast is not going to be easy under 1800. Cast stoves of that size are just expensive.

Now if you are ok with straight steel stoves, then its a whole different ballgame. Lots of options out there for under 1800.

Yah basement is all insulated and finished. A straight steel stove I think is probably all I can get in that price range of around $1,800. I want good heating, probably not a step top to make more room for cooking, 2.4 or so firebox, viewable glass door, ash box is not necessary (used to shoveling ashes) , any help appreciated.

Some great steel stoves out there- Check out Enviro Kodiak series, Osburn 2300 and 2400 series, Drolet and of course Englanders. My first choice would be the Enviros, but many good choices, maybe Pacific Energy or Napoleon too...

Status
Not open for further replies.