Help, OSBURN Wood Stove Owners! Whistling driving me NUTS!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbulldude

Sep 28, 2009
Da Upper Peninsula
This whistling is going to drive me NUTS this year!!! Makes that nice, quiet fire NOT so enjoyable!

Ok, now I posted this same question last year... so this is a refresher, cause I never fixed the problem. My woodstove is a Osburn 2400. Bought used. All bricks are in good shape. Chimney inside Garage with about 3.5 feet above rooftop peak. Clay lined (original) chimney. 18" riser out of TOP of stove to elbow to 22" piece into wall/chimney. Door seal good. Pitch does NOT change when door is pushed in.

New since last year... talked to former owners of stove... she said it whistled with them too. They had insulated pipe straight out of top up to ceiling. Ceramic Fiber Blanket - NEW! Stove cleaned with DETAIL this year. ALL pipe joints sealed with sealant. Ash pan taken OUT... just for whistling purposes.

As I sit here watching the spartans... it is whistling away!

My concern, is if it was doing this with the former owners as well... then it is a STOVE issue... right??? What ELSE can I do???

Sing along. Mine is not the same brand as yours but sometimes will whistle when the draft is strong. If you change the intake setting does it stop?

I had a stove that did that at a certain air setting and I usually just adjusted the air til it stopped. If you can get at it check your air control slide mechanism, maybe there's some welding slag or something blocking the air?

Find the source and you're on your way to stop it. Hold a length of pipe to your ear and move the other end around to find the source.

LLigetfa You are the WINNER!!!

Had a piece of 3/4 in copper pipe in the garage. Ran it along the side, then to the front. Noticed it louder and could hear crackling in front. Narrowed it down to the front center. Gently (with a glove) pulled the front door out and no change. Then, pulled the tray (that is under the door) off, and noticed a small hole just under the door opening. This hole is connected to a small pipe that draws air from the room. I put a piece of metal tape over that hole... and 100% QUIET!

Guys... YOU ROCK! It is warm and peaceful in my house! Unfortunately, now I can hear the wife's nagging perfectly... I wonder if the same remedy would work for her too... after all, the noise also is coming from a opening in the front center... (lol)

But, back on the serious side... couldn't I just take my drill and open that hole just a little... then the noise should stop without the tape... Right?

Don't drill the hole larger until you look at the edges to see if there are any burrs from the machining process.
Sometimes the hole drilling operations in big shops are left to the inexperienced machine tool operators & not the machinists...
If they're paid by piece count, they punch the holes as fast as they can to get quota & probably don't deburr them properly...
You'd be surprised how much of a harmonic can get created by a thin piece of ragged burr attached to the OD of a hole...
Use a rat-tail file to clean the edges to see if that helps, paying attention to the inner diameter where the drill exited...

I'm guessing that hole feeds zipper air to the coals and making it larger could make the fire want to run away. It could also improve the performance of the stove and help burn down the coals. I drilled mine out and put in an adjustable control so I can burn down the coals when I need to and slow it down for overnight burns.

It's easy to see what making it smaller will do but if you drill it out bigger and don't like the results you will have to put a bushing in the hole to make it smaller again.

Ya know, LLigetfa, my secondary burn has been a LOT better with the tape over the hole. I think that I am going to leave the tape right where it is. Granted, we are not in the heave burn season (only 28 here this am), but it is just around the season. Now if I can just stop the darn thing from smoking profusely when the door is open to put wood in... I will be all set!

Status
Not open for further replies.