help! PE Vista Alderlea T4

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adb3

Hearth Supporter
Feb 17, 2008
FL
we hsve looked for weeks& my wife likes the Alderlea T4. we are in NW FL and the nearest dealer is in Kentucky! cost &shp; are about $2200. anything like this stove by anyone else? Any feedback on thi unit?

thanks

Haven't heard many complaints about the PE T series, nice looking stove imo. You might be able to save a few bucks ordering from these guys. The owner frequents this forum and will bend over backwards for you.

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/

Bias admitted here, but my experience so far has been very positive with the PE Alserlea series. I have a few friends that have been burning in them and they are also very pleased.

Not identical, but similar hybrid stoves are made by Napoleon, Hampton and by Quadrafire. Take a look at the small Napoleon 1100, Hampton H200 or the Quadrafire Yosemite stoves for comparison. Their fireboxes are wider and shallower, but they are good stoves. In your climate, if at all possible you will want to vent these stoves straight up with at least a 14' flue. Mild temps +1 story flue can make for a balky stove or a bit of smoke splillage when opening the door if the flue is not ideal. The Alderlea has a deeper firebox which may work a little better in this circumstance. If you contact thechimneysweeponline, ask them about this.

you note on the smoke coming back into the house is right on! i never knew that before, but it has been a problem for yrs with my insert.

A 14" flue? i use an 8" on both my insert and Frankin. this must be an issue on the volume of air, not rate of air flow. can you tell me more? is there another solution. i live in a rural area w/lots of trees, the top of the chimney is 4.5' above the roof apex.

adb3 said:
you note on the smoke coming back into the house is right on! i never knew that before, but it has been a problem for yrs with my insert.

A 14" flue? i use an 8" on both my insert and Frankin. this must be an issue on the volume of air, not rate of air flow. can you tell me more? is there another solution. i live in a rural area w/lots of trees, the top of the chimney is 4.5' above the roof apex.

I think you mis-read his 14' high as 14" in diameter. He's saying that you want the chimney cap at least 14 feet above the stove collar with the straightest possible run. Use the stove pipe and chimney size recommended for your stoves by the manufacturers and definitely don't invest in a 14" flue! :)

thanks, that makes much more sense... i've never heard of a 14" flue

adb3 said:

It sounds like the insert needs a flue liner. If it is dumping into a 14" pipe, it is going to draft poorly. Can you give more specifics about this installation like the full dimension of the flue tiles, insert make and model and how it is connected to the fireplace flue?

2 stoves in a FL and you want to add a third or is the new stove replacing an old one?

sorry for the confusion. let me provide background info. i have an insert that i installed in 1985 to heat about 2300 ft2. about 1995 i installed an 8" SS flue, cleaning the chimney flue, the original fireplace flue, was just too painful and time consuming. the Country Flame insert attaches to the 8" SS flue which stands is about 14" of flue pipe. It draws well, but under some conditions i can open the door and smoke comes back into the house, not the usual situation, but it results in the wife smelling it immediately!!!

I have a Franklin stove in the den. We added that about 20 yrs ago. it sits on a brick pad and has it's own flue (8"). Since the kids have left home, we use it to heat the end of the house that we "live in" most of the time. If it gets really cold (hey it's Florida! that's anything below 45 F), i usually crank up the insert. otherwise, the Franklin does the work, the wife enjoys seeing the fire, etc.... NOw, it's time for a more efficient unit than the Franklin ( eats about 3 logs per hr!) So, i'm looking for an efficient unit to heat about 1000 ft2. My previous topic came back with suggestions to go to a larger unit, maybe 1500 ft2 capacity. So, i've been looking for weeks on line. The wife likes the PC Vista Alderlea T4! Nice unit, but the nearest dealer is 800 miles away. I'd like to see one before buying, but not likely in this scenario. So, maybe there's other stoves like the T4 that we can drive to a "nearby dealer" and see that are similar. Nearby means at least 100 miles.

Thanks your help, sorry for the confusion. To bad English is a common language separating two great people!!!!

OK, that helps clarify things. Yes, in your mild climate it takes all things working perfectly to have the stove drafting well. You might try opening a nearby window before opening the insert door when it is mild outside. Open the air control first, then slowly open the door. If the new stove is going to be connected to the 8" flue currently serving the franklin, you may have draft issues still when the temps are mild (50's). The stoves you are looking at have 6" flue vents. In the least, connect the new stove with double-wall, 6" pipe to the ceiling support box.

Show the wife the Napoleon 1100C to see what she thinks. This stove can be ordered online. I'm not sure if you will find it close by. A stove shop in FL is like selling bikinis in AK.

I'm not trying to promote anyone, but I ordered my stove from Chimneysweeponline.com and was glad I did. Being in the south gives us limited options on wood stoves, so I know how you feel.

I really wanted to personally view the stove I was going to buy too. The closest and only dealer remotely close to me was a Vermont Castings (VC) dealer, and I was reluctant to by a VC stove due to the issues they were having (financial, etc).

Other than not seeing it, ordering it was not a big deal. Very easy to do and I never felt like I was doing something I would regret.

Status
Not open for further replies.