Help! Pellet stove is testing my patience

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarjamman

Sep 26, 2013
Central MA
2000 Enviro EF-4 insert. Had system completely cleaned in October and ran about 1/2 ton of Turmans to date. Perform weekly deep cleans (remove blowers and clean fins, vacuum behind all panels, scrape off all accumulating gunk, vacuum hopper, etc.)

Two days ago I shut it down due to warm weather. Turn it on yesterday and it is being SUPER testy with me. The auger cycles anywhere from 5-10 times then stops feeding completely - no green light indicating system is sending power. Any flame that started will just burn down and flame out from no fuel. Turn it on again once system shuts off, auger cycles 10-20 times and then stops. Igniter gets the first few pellets going and then auger quits out. Continue frustration.

HOWEVER, I can assist the whole operation by turning on the room distribution fan (convection) then turning it off again quickly. If I do this, the auger will cycle 10-20 times then stop again. Turn the fan on/off again quickly, and the cycle repeats. Not sure how this all fits into the equation, but I am at a loss now. Normally I just leave the fan OFF and let the system override it and kick it on when the stove gets to temperature. I tried leaving the fan ON and the auger still quits out, it seems like the initial surge of the fan clicking on and off again is enough to get the auger to reset and cycle a few times.

PARTS I HAVE REPLACED:
Door Gasket (old one was beat, new one is sweet)
Igniter
Auger Motor

I removed the exhaust temperature sensor and cleaned off all the accumulated crud, shined like new again. I have blown compressed air throughout the whole vacuum sensor system (through barb into stove and through rubber tube - no cracks or breaks anywhere). Tonight I may try and jump the vacuum sensor completely to try and rule it out, but I feel like the convection fan would have zero effect if that was the cause.

Any idea on why the fan kicks the auger on for a few cycles? Figure that when the cold air really starts to settle in, the stove decides to go on vacation.

Update:

Went to town of the damn stove yesterday. Cleaned every nook and cranny; bought a lint-eater to clean the chimney liner. Note to everyone: Don't trust that a chimney sweep company will do a good job. I had the stove and exhaust piping cleaned in October and have only run 25 bags through the stove since. The cleanout tee was plugged solid and the amount of dust and ash that came out of the liner was astounding. Scrubbed it for about an hour, went up to the roof and scrubbed for a bit, vacuumed it all out and finished off with the LBT. Stove has been running since last night without an issue. Maybe the system was clogged up so bad that there wasn't enough of a vacuum being created? Not sure how the convection fan fits into the equation but a happy stove prevails.

Is it possible for 20-25 bags of pellets to completely gum up the chimney liner after a full cleaning? I am tempted to call the chimney sweep company and let them know what I found, I paid them $200 and was left with a job I needed to do myself to get it done right.

Early season firings with them usually being short, seem to plug things faster than when into the heating season and the stoves are running constantly and keeping everything up to running temp.

Sounds right, I was going to suggest cleaning out all the flue passages.

The flame was dying out because it didn't have the right air to 'suck' the flame up. usually caused by clogged exhaust.

Screw chimney sweeps... those guys are for wood burners :) clean the T often (I do mine monthly) and scrape the pipe every 2 tons ish with a lint eater. I don't even use that.... I just kinda shake mine (I have flex lining) and it all comes crashing down and its a mad race to suck it all up with the vac :D

Status
Not open for further replies.