HELP- Rika integra II insert fan noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

db131

Jan 7, 2014
Hudson Valley, NY
hello all,

I have a Rika Integra 2 insert, and the fan noise is becoming unbearable!

It it loud. It rattles. It vibrates. It keeps us up at night. All things I would like to rectify!

I have cleaned the unit many times, but never the long fan on the bottom (combustion fan) which I think people refer to as the squirrel cage.

Could someone please explain to me how to remove, what to service, how to service, and if I need any spare parts while I have it out.

Is there anything else that might be causing this unit to be so loud??

Thanks in advance,
Dave

hello all,

I have a Rika Integra 2 insert, and the fan noise is becoming unbearable!

It it loud. It rattles. It vibrates. It keeps us up at night. All things I would like to rectify!

I have cleaned the unit many times, but never the long fan on the bottom (combustion fan) which I think people refer to as the squirrel cage.

Could someone please explain to me how to remove, what to service, how to service, and if I need any spare parts while I have it out.

Is there anything else that might be causing this unit to be so loud??

Thanks in advance,
Dave

The long fan on the bottom is the "convection fan".

The combustion fan is in the exhaust, left rear of the stove.

So, where is the noise coming from

I have both an original Austroflam Integra (insert) from the 90's and a Rika Integra 2 (free standing) and neither convection fan has ever made any noise.

The long fan on the bottom is the "convection fan".

The combustion fan is in the exhaust, left rear of the stove.

So, where is the noise coming from

I have both an original Austroflam Integra (insert) from the 90's and a Rika Integra 2 (free standing) and neither convection fan has ever made any noise.

Lakensea,
Thanks for the reply. The has to be coming from the convection fan. I can hear the auger, and I can hear the combustion/exhaust fan (on startup), and they are fine.

To best describe the noise, it sounds like the ash pan is rattling, and banging into the door making the handle rattle. I know none of that is happening, but that's the sound. The noise increases and decreases with the thermostat going up or down. It seems like at higher levels the fan goes spins, stays balanced, and is just loud like you would expect. 20-40 is the worst. It will keep you up at night! 50-60 is ok, but it almost sounds as if the fan is hitting something on every revolution (think playing card on your bicycle hitting the wheel spokes as you ride).

Thoughts? I know I should take that fan out and inspect it, but I'm not sure how.

Thanks,
Dave

I have the original Integra so I don't know how much this will help.
Remove both side panels. Look on the motor side and you should see 2 bolts go to right side and you should see 2 more bolts remove right side first then the left.
The fan slides out to the left ( be sure you that you have enough slack in wiring to pull out, you may have to disconnect wiring at harness) it may take a little strength to pull out.
I pull my fan out at the end of season and it does get pretty dusty and use compressed air to clean. I also replace the bushing on right side even if it seems good.
The second time I pulled the fan I cut the wiring to give me enough room to pull it out and spliced the wiring with male/female connectors to make things quick and easier to take out and replace.

I hope this helps.

Edit Always unplug stove before working on it

Last edited:
Integra II here in Oregon. Similar issue. Mine is quiet until the 21 minute mark and then sounds like it's going to
rattle right off of the hearth. Then after 10 or so minutes, goes quiet and runs and sounds normal.
Fan dying? Which one?
Thanks in advance,
Stan

You will have to figure out which one, you can look and see where they are mounted.But it probably is your convection blower. If it is, they an be fixed lots of times. Remove, clean, shoot some oil down into the motor bushings, AND, what usually fails, there is a rubber mounted bushing at the other end, of the tangential fan. They became available,again, and do not cost very much.

You will have to figure out which one, you can look and see where they are mounted.But it probably is your convection blower. If it is, they an be fixed lots of times. Remove, clean, shoot some oil down into the motor bushings, AND, what usually fails, there is a rubber mounted bushing at the other end, of the tangential fan. They became available,again, and do not cost very much.
I ran the stove up to 70% for about 20 minutes. Turned it down and got an err2 notice. Automatic shutdown.
Once it cooled, I started it up, and Voila! No noise or rattle. Must have been creosote on the convection blower.

I ran the stove up to 70% for about 20 minutes. Turned it down and got an err2 notice. Automatic shutdown.
Once it cooled, I started it up, and Voila! No noise or rattle. Must have been creosote on the convection blower.
or a dead mouse, or cat hair. Most people pull them out and clean them once a year.