help! Secondary tube.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kversch

Dec 26, 2014
New York
when I was going to reload my lopi liberty tonight I must have nicked something because the front most secondary tube came unhooked. I didn't hit anything hard. Is it possible the roll pin fell out at some point?? I had the fire box 3/4 full and starting to burn. So I put the secondary tube back in the retainer sleeve but things were to hot to work with. The air holes are pointing down now instead or down and out tword the glass.

Are the roll pins special or can I pick new ones up at any store? Is it ok to burn the stove till I can get a new pin.

The stove is brand new just over one month old. Should I go back the the dealer?

Thanks for all the help in advance guys.

If it's that new, they should come out and replace the pin, or give you one if you are comfortable installing it. Hard to believe it would work loose that quickly; May have been missed during assembly.

I have the same problem, same stove. I can't tell you how many time I have replace the pin, same size, bigger size and I taper it down. I gave up and just reline it every time I load it. I always were welder glove when loading. No worries

Is there any reason ya can't just put a stainless steel sheet metal screw in the thing and be done with it?

I have not tried stainless but i have tried just sheet metal, same problem

Interesting. I would just put a cotter pin in the thing like some stove makers do. That has to be really irritating.

Reactions: Ashful
Agree with Brother Bart - I have to wrestle with the cotter pins in the Osburn to remove the tubes. Throw a cotter pin in there if you can.

Reactions: DeePee
Find pin that fell out. Shove needle nose pliers into pin. Spread it open. Shove pin back where it belongs. Been there, done that...once.

Most hardware stores will have roller pins in their screws and bolts section if you can't find the old one. A stainless cotter pin will do the job as well.

Agree with Brother Bart - I have to wrestle with the cotter pins in the Osburn to remove the tubes. Throw a cotter pin in there if you can.

The factory pins are a pain to remove. I've since replaced mine with bent sections of coat hanger wire. Easy to work with and disposable if need be.

Is there any reason ya can't just put a stainless steel sheet metal screw in the thing and be done with it?

This is what I did with mine and it's been holding for a few years now. The problem with carbon or zinc steel is it will actually burn away from the expansion and contraction as it heats and cools. Regular type carbon steel roll pins are not the application for this.

For the price you pay for these Liberty stoves one would think they would build them a little better......I've had my stove since February 1997 and she's been thru hell and back, but I don't know that I would buy the same stove today.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.