Help! Several problems and new!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyehard2191

Oct 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hey everyone, ill start with im new to the forum and burning. Ive been searching posts for a while here and cant find my issues. We recently moved into a house that has a wood burner. I'm not sure how old it is but it's a Royal. I lit it up last night for the first time and its still going.

So the first problem... It has two blowers. One for forced air and another for auxiliary blower. It has a cut in cut out switch and I have my three pins set. With not moving the dial at all the auxiliary blower runs, but never shuts off and runs the blower for forced air. How should that whole set up properly work?

The dial on the switch is vice gripped in a position where both blowers run. I know what I'm doing is wrong but it's all I can do to spread some heat around the house and keep my fire going.

My fire has been going the whole time. Small flames and more smoldering than anything. I'm not really sure where to start to figure this out. We have two thermostats upstairs in the house. One for a boiler and one for the burner. They read about ten degrees apart. New thermostat on the wall? New cut in cut out switch?

If someone could give me a direction of where to start or ask some questions that can provide you with more info about it, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd much rather be burning wood than oil!

Thanks in advanced, Jake

Welcome Jake. Is this a wood furnace or a wood boiler? Is there a model number on this unit? It will be something like model 8130 if a furnace. The controls definitely are not meant to be clamped in place. That could be dangerous, especially if it is overriding the limit controls. Post some pictures of the unit for us to see what you are seeing.

It is a wood furnace. I'm not sure what model it is. As I've read but still don't understand why it is, when I opened the door the fire does start to take off a little.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 93
The majority of the time this is due to poorly seasoned wood. But it could also be that the chimney or the chimney cap is clogged. If so it must be cleaned first.

That is some large wood you are trying to start. If the flue is clean and clear it'd be better to get a coal bed started first with some construction scraps of 2x4s. Then put on the larger wood.

Last edited:
The wood that was in the picture had been in there for probably 4 or 5 hours. Nothing really catches for me. It all just kind of mostly smolders. The wood is seasoned. Probably not quite as long as it could be but it is. Thanks for the manual. Ill take a look through there.

Status
Not open for further replies.