Help! So confused about how to attch DVL to Support Box CC-C connector

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamel

Feb 3, 2013
MA
Hello, was getting around to installing my first wood stove. Very exciting! I got the square ceiling support box installed, but now I'm very confused about how to attach the Simpson Double-Wall DVL pipe to the square ceiling support box. Any help is greatly appreciated. This is the support box I'm using 6" Duratech Square Ceiling Support box 9438A

Does the support box have the adaptors build into it to connect to DVL, or do I need an adaptor? If so I came across both of these adaptors. Which one do I use?

6-dvl-chimney-adapter-with-trim-8675

6-dvl-close-clearance-adapter-8678

I currently have 8674 (C-CC) connector which I can''t seem to find on northlineexpress.

Also do I need an adaptor on the other side of the support box to connect the Class A chimney to the support box? Or does the Class A Chimney go directly into the support box?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm using the proper pieces etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello, was getting around to installing my first wood stove. Very exciting! I got the square ceiling support box installed, but now I'm very confused about how to attach the Simpson Double-Wall DVL pipe to the square ceiling support box. Any help is greatly appreciated. This is the support box I'm using 6" Duratech Square Ceiling Support box 9438A

Does the support box have the adaptors build into it to connect to DVL, or do I need an adaptor? If so I came across both of these adaptors. Which one do I use?

6-dvl-chimney-adapter-with-trim-8675

6-dvl-close-clearance-adapter-8678

I currently have 8674 (C-CC) connector which I can''t seem to find on northlineexpress.

Also do I need an adaptor on the other side of the support box to connect the Class A chimney to the support box? Or does the Class A Chimney go directly into the support box?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm using the proper pieces etc.

Thanks!
I feel your pain as I just went through this. Duravent is rather vague when they talk about connecting stove pipe to the support box and in my opinion have too many options on the market. Any of the ones you listed will work for you including the one you have but if you use the one you currently have it will be very difficult to remove the stovepipe. If your like me and intend to clean the chimney from the bottom up by breaking the stove pipe free from the box one of the other connectors would be better. I personally used the snap lock adapter which you did not list but I like the look of the 8675 better which I think is their newest one. Also the class a will screw directly into the support box, no adapter needed. Make sure the square part of your ceiling box is at least 2" below finished ceiling. Hope this helps.

There is nothing needed for the Class A connection. It seats directly into the support box. Both of these DVL adapters will work. The second one provides a more solid connection. This is good if you need to remove the pipe frequently for cleaning, but not needed if the stove is easy to clean with the stove completely connected. Here's the info from M&G's catalog (click to enlarge):
Capture.JPG

8675, I just installed on the new system I put in, you will have to run the 4 drill tip screws into the round collar, that will hold the inner stainless part into the box collar. nice removable fit.

chimney box1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also your class a chimney pipe will twist lock into the box, no adapter needed there.
Also if you are connecting to the raised collar on the top surface of the stove, the DVL stove adapter with the crimped inner end will make for a nice fit to attach a telescopic pipe up to your box adapter.
NOTE: stagger align the locking ridge threads on your class a male to female ends when you are putting them together they will go together easer then twist to lock, gloves are handy the inner edges are sharp. Once locked they don't untwist lock very easy.
Just a fiew things the instructions dont tell you

Last edited by a moderator:
8675, I just installed on the new system I put in, you will have to run the 4 drill tip screws into the round collar, that will hold the inner stainless part into the box collar. nice removable fit.

View attachment 114438

Thanks everyone for the replys and clearing things up for me. Simpsons directions are really vague about these adaptors. Didn't realize there were so many choices. I think I want to go with the 8675 because I want to be able to clean from the bottom up and be able to take the stove pipe off to clean. The only thing I'm worried about is drilling into the bottom of the support box to attach the 8675 with those three screws. Won't it puncture the Class A pipe on the other side? Or are the screws really short? Is it something that can be done after installing the class A pipe? Did you have any trouble with it Todd? BTW your installation looks great!

There is about a 2 inch round extension built into the box that the 4 screws will attach to, the screws should be included in the adapter box, they are not long enough to reach the class a above it.
Yes you can install the support box and class a complete, your DVL pipe and adapters can be installed after no problem.
Its pretty simple to do just take your time and make sure everything is lined up.
Have your screw slots lined up with the screw holes on the male to female DVL pipe/adapters when you put them together, they dont twist easy once together either.

Todd

There is about a 2 inch round extension built into the box that the 4 screws will attach to, the screws should be included in the adapter box, they are not long enough to reach the class a above it.
Yes you can install the support box and class a complete, your DVL pipe and adapters can be installed after no problem.
Its pretty simple to do just take your time and make sure everything is lined up.
Have your screw slots lined up with the screw holes on the male to female DVL pipe/adapters when you put them together, they dont twist easy once together either.

Todd

Thanks Todd for describing how to install it. I just ordered the piece today. I just noticed that you have a similar stove to me. Do you mind me asking what stove adaptor you used for your Pacific Energy Summit? I have a Pacific Energy Vista and I bought the DVL stove adaptor 8680 for my stove but it fits really loosely. Do I just use furnace cement to secure it? Also how do you go about screwing the adaptor into the stove? The outter layer of the DVL stove adaptor is overlapping the screw holes on my stove.

I'm not sure on the Vista, but I ran the DVL right to the flue collar on the T6 with no adapter. The outer layer is on the outside of the flue collar and the inner wall is snug inside the flue collar. (Give is a gentle push to seat it tightly) I drilled holes in the DVL that aligned with the flue collar holes and screwed it down.

My DVL is installed on the Efel stove but Begreen is right about the bigger PE stoves, they have a true 6" + collar opening so your Vista might be the same and accept the pipe directly. If you do some measuring with the pipe end on the stove collar you should be able to hit the current holes in the collar, when you run the screws in just tighten them enough to touch on the outer pipe wall not to crush it in and look bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.