Help w/ Masonry Baffle - Lopi 440-T (’83?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cecoam

Oct 8, 2020
Rochester, NY
I’m trying to clean up the Lopi 440-T that came with our house to get it back in service this winter. It seems to be in good shape but I need to rebuild the masonry baffle. I downloaded the manual available on the Lopi (Travis Industries) site but it does not appear to be correct for my stove.

The main issue is that the manual show 4 half bricks arranged horizontally on tabs across the back of the stove with full bricks arranged vertically in between. My stove has five tabs, not four. When trying to arrange the brick as pictured in the manual it pushed the half bricks on the left and right side to the extreme edge of the tab. I was also not able to get the middle half brick in place as the space was a bit too tight. I could sand each half brick down a bit to make them narrower but this still doesn’t seem correct given the misalignment with the tabs.

I contacted Travis Industries and got the following response.
“Thank you for your question. The 440T was manufactured by Lopi Energy Systems before Travis Industries took over the company. During the transition most documentation was lost and we do not have the information you are looking for.”

Can’t really blame them on a stove this old. Does anyone know what is correct way to arrange the masonry baffle for this stove, or have any suggestions? I’m new to wood stoves and don’t want to do anything dangerous.

Photos can be seen here - https://photos.app.goo.gl/fVN3Q3RYnjJBmDeD7

Here is a diagram for the baffle bricks.
Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 11.07.46 AM.png
The manual is here: