HELP!!! What stove do I buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hawtdog

Sep 30, 2015
maine
I am new to wood stove purchasing and am not the most handy person. I need to replace our old stove, apparently our old one is "as useless as a fart in the morning", I am quoting the stove repair guy. I am really trying to find a good, reliable, easy to use model. The stove will be in the living room so I'd like it to be a bit prettier than a box. But mostly I want something economical and lasting. our current stove dimensions are height and width 27 inches and depth is 18 inches. The space I'd like to heat is 1200-1500. Mostly we use when the power goes out and to keep cozy, but am thinking of using if for more if I buy the right one. Are there stoves/manufacturers I should absolutely avoid? Also should I NOT buy from box stores? Thanks!!

Pics of current install, a floor plan even rough drawn is going to help immensely.

Do you have firewood ready for this season??? Split, seasoned etc?

Welcome to the forums !

Welcome hawt, Lots of great stoves out there. I'd go and look and see what you like and can afford. In most cases in formal areas, cast or soapstone stoves are popular, but there are lots of steel stoves out there heating homes. Look for a 2.0-2.5 cuft firebox stove, some Mfrs I'd suggest- Jotul, Enviro, Hearthstone, Quadrafire, Lopi, Pacific Energy, Blazeking and lots of others. Good luck on your hunt.

For simple good heaters that look good the Enviro Boston 1700 and the PE Alderlea T5 are a good place to start.

When I think of pretty stoves, personally, I think of Hearthstones, Alderleas and enameled Pacific Energy's and Jotuls. More info about your home/layout and what your current setup is would help.

Avoid you cheaper out of USA manufactured stove like US stove. Also avoid VC brands (for now, they have had a lot of expensive issues)
The best bang for you $$ stove that will last is Englander series, they are simple, proven and the company is loyal to there customers.
If your a more serious burner that has a higher budget look at Blaze kings, hearthstones, Woodstock, jotul, pacific energy.

Thank you everyone! I think I'll be going for the Englander. It's in my budget (which is that I have none, as new wood stove need was a surprise) it's got a pretty good size fire box, a nice window, seems easy to use and will fit on my current hearth. Wish I could afford something prettier, but it's pragmatism all the way for this purchase.

What model are you looking at? Can't go wrong with Englander. Solid heaters with excellent customer service. I speak from first hand experience.

Thank you everyone! I think I'll be going for the Englander. It's in my budget (which is that I have none, as new wood stove need was a surprise) it's got a pretty good size fire box, a nice window, seems easy to use and will fit on my current hearth. Wish I could afford something prettier, but it's pragmatism all the way for this purchase.
Which model Englander? Some, like the 13NCH have pretty stiff hearth insulation requirements. The newest models however are ember protection only and don't cost a lot more. I suggest considering the Madison for your space.

http://www.amfmenergy.com/50masmheup18.html

Just reread your first post space wise .... the 13 is an EXCELLANT heater. I love it, I really do.

The down side is the smaller fire box. Less burn time. Max with primo firewood, 4 - 6 hours. Heat output for 6 - 8. It's in a 550 SF space on a lower level of a long split ranch.

I will also say that during one day last years brutal winter, I had to let the PE go out, to clean out the ashes. When I got home, the Englander had been running all day and that 550 SF space was at 82F (it was 10F outside ... the stuff you remember ;)) , the rest of the house was 58F. I opened the connecting door, and the heat started flowing up the stairs. Upstairs was 65F in an hour, and the PE kicked in with serious heat output an hour later. The apartment dropped down to 76F :p

Moral - You can't go wrong with an Englander. And they are pretty :cool:

Whatever stove you purchase . . .

1) Make sure you install it per the manufacturer's recommendations in terms of clearance distance (a lot of newer ones can be quite close to the walls), hearth requirements (some only require ember protection while others have a high insulation value requirement) and be sure to screw all the stove pipe together.

2) The EPA stoves frustrate a lot of folks who try them for the first time . . . typically because a) they are burning wood that is only partially seasoned (my stove burns great . . . with 1-2 year old wood) or b) they try to run them like their old stove (i.e. leaving the air open will result in less heat vs. bringing the stove up to temp and then dialing down the air).

3) Be sure to check with you home insurer . . . since it is just a replacement they may not say anything or have any specific requirements, but better safe than sorry.

4) If you have questions . . . ask . . . we're pretty safety conscious here since we really like our members and want to have them kicking around here for a long time.

Thanks everyone! The advice has really helped, but now I have another complication: my friend has a 10 yr old Jotul she's selling. Do I buy that or go for something new? It's the right size for our space ('bout the size of a Jotul F3 CB) and it's in fine condition. What to do? It is a lot prettier than the Englander, but I don't want to make a decision based on that. I'm thinking a Jotul even 10 yrs old is still a great stove and if the price is the same as the Englander it seems like a good buy. Thoughts?

Older stoves are fine. I used my older Buck 27000 for 14 yrs, It was 20+ yrs old when I bought it. Its still in fine shape, I gave it to my neighbors sister and she'll probably burn it for the next 10-20 yrs. If taken care of I'd imagine they last indefinitely...
with just routine maintenance.....

Hawt- If its a 10 year old Jotul F3CB, its a fine stove. New, MSRP for matte black is $1859, about $400 more for enamel colors. A 10 year one would sell (matte black) for about 500-600 in good condition.

Yo Dog, I second that emotion. Be sure to do your research on the F3 for hearth insulation specs and clearance to combustables. Download a copy of the manual from jotul.com\us.

By the way, exactly what is wrong with your current stove? Might it be fixed? It might not be worth a fart in the morning, but it might be worth a few dollars. You ought to run it by the geek collective that is this site. Whatever the problem is, someone else has probably had it.

:p

Moral - You can't go wrong with an Englander. And they are pretty :cool:

THey just came out with a new model under the Summers heat label with a HUGE fire view door . Love the look, ITS all about the view!! It was at lowes For $899.

What is the diameter of the pipe on the stove that is currently installed?

Another englander vote here. I have the 13nc but I've had the 17vl as well. Nothing bad to say about either.

Status
Not open for further replies.