help with an earth stove problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad123

Hearth Supporter
Dec 21, 2009
utah
please forgive me because i'm a first time forum user, but I need some advice on a wood burning stove I had given to me recently. It is a model 300 earth stove it is a rear vented model and I would prefer a top vented model. I have tried to do as much research as I could but would like to find out for certain if I cap the rear vent and cut a new in the top am I making a mistake? It has a fire plate in the top with the gap in the front I believe this is the same as the top vented models and from what I can gather it is constructed the same throughout if anyone knows for certain your input would be greatly appreciated THANKS

Hold on Chad. I would seriously re-consider what you are asking about. It is not a good idea to start patching and welding and cutting on a stove. You will be altering the structural stability of the stove as designed.

What you DO have is an early 80's stove that was a well working tank in its day. Consider selling it and using the money to buy a top vent of your choice.

Also, not sure of the Utah rules, but there are many areas that will not allow that stove to be installed as a "new" installation. You might want to check in on that for inspection and insurance purposes. (not trying to scare you, just don't want you to be surprised).

If you are new to stoves, and are really looking at making the jump into wood heat, do yourself a favor (and some homework) and look into the newer stoves. The EPA Cert phase 2 stoves will spank that earths stove butt in almost every way. Its kinda like comparing the older carb. 6 cylinder cars to the new fuel injected ones. Yeah, its that different.

Status
Not open for further replies.