HELP WITH ASH STAINING

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOGG0494

Feb 18, 2015
hidson valley,new york
hi guys,over the winter my outside vent pipe filled with ice/snow and then the ash built up and formed a solid block.i had to remove the bottom cleaning cap to let the stove vent(was filling back up inside the stove)anyway,i had to let it run for a day before i could unclog the pipe.the ash soot stained my vinyl siding on the house.i tried to pressure wash it with 3 different solutions i got at home depot.made it lighter but still looks awful.anyone know a product or home remedy to use to clean it?

I use the Dollar Store cleaner called Awesome. It always seems to clean it when the other stuff can't. And, of course, it's only a buck.

If the vinyl was heated with the bottom cap off, you may want to try hot soap & water (e.g. Dawn dish detergent), and scrub so the siding warms back up & releases the soot from it.. ( Vinyl siding cleans much easier on a hot sunny day, from my experience. )

I agree with clean fire hot soapy water and elbow grease

Status
Not open for further replies.