Help with broken glass in stove door - temporary fix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

itsalwayssomething

Nov 10, 2022
Western US
Ugh - I have a Quadra-fire 7100 and the glass in one of my doors just cracked. I've ordered a replacement, but it won't be here for 5-6 days, and I'd really like to run the stove during this time. I'm wondering about using cutting some sheet metal to use as a replacement. Thoughts on that? I have some 30 and 22 gauge, and could place it on the front or back of the glass. Or remove the glass entirely and use it in place, just not sure if I could make that airtight. Anyone do anything similar?

Don't use galvanized.

and 30 or 22 gauge is entirely too thin, imo. 12 or 10 gauge might (might) be acceptable with high temp silicone to seal.

galvanized gives off extremely toxic, noxious fumes...when heated to nearly orange.

Reactions: Ashful
Is it just cracked, or actually broken out/loose?
I've seen people run with cracked glass for years...doesn't necessarily affect things...

Reactions: Ashful
My post is non-constructive to your problem, but this actually makes me realize how much of an Achilles heel a broken glass panel could be to the stove. I'm thinking about ordering a replacement set just to have in the unfortunate event one of my glass panels in the VC Encore breaks...

Reactions: woodstoveglassdoor
My post is non-constructive to your problem, but this actually makes me realize how much of an Achilles heel a broken glass panel could be to the stove. I'm thinking about ordering a replacement set just to have in the unfortunate event one of my glass panels in the VC Encore breaks...
Im looking to have metal replacement made here soon

I bought a floor model CL1250 Regency a few years ago. It had been sitting unused in the store for several years. I had it installed and then shortly afterwards the glass cracked(straight crack top to bottom. Still sealed. Company replaced it under warranty and I kept small fires in the stove while waiting for the replacement. Granted the glass still kept a "seal". It let in a little more air than normal but minimal and I kept the fires to when I was home and not leaving for anything. If it makes you nervous don't do it and wait out your replacement glass. If you got it from a local stove shop they may have a floor model of that model that they will sell the glass to it for you while you wait on the order.

EDIT: I just saw it was 5-6 days. If you have another heat source I wouldn't risk it and just turn down the heat some...

Im looking to have metal replacement made here soon
Why? I've seen a handful of cracked glass posts, which as @brenndatomu already noted, many people just keep running without issue, but I cannot think of many stories of glass completely blown out of the door and making the stove temporarily unusable.

I have a combined 24 years of wood stove operation in this house, with 3x loads per day, and no cracked glass yet. Of course, now that I said that...