Help with Buckstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FridayBeers

Nov 27, 2020
Ohio
Hello,

I've searched for an answer to this question for a while now but to be sure I finally caved and made a new thread.

I bought my house a few years ago and it came with a new Buckstove 74. It's the first stove that I've used so it's been a learning process from an open masonry fireplace.

Last year I built a fire in it but was noticing a tapping sound from the liner so out of an abundance of caution, I chose to pull the air control all the way out and choke the fire. It did kill the fire eventually, but there is now a black buildup in the firebox and something on the glass. My question is, did I make a mistake doing that, and is this still safe to use? Do I need to clean whatever this is off? I don't want to build a fire if things aren't safe.

Thank you.

Can you describe the sound better? Was it a crinkling sound, kind of high pitched? If so, it probably was creosote that had accumulated in the liner and was burning off. When was the flue system connected to the stove last checked and cleaned?

Can you describe the sound better? Was it a crinkling sound, kind of high pitched? If so, it probably was creosote that had accumulated in the liner and was burning off. When was the flue system connected to the stove last checked and cleaned?
It was a tapping sound. I had someone come out to clean after and they said it was clean, probably just a cold pipe expanding from the cold. temperatures. The pipe was clean.

We have a Buck #91, catalyst stove. In the beginning stages of any new burn, there are many tapping, knocking noises as the metal heats up. IMHO, the buildup you see on the glass is from choking out the fire. If you've been advised that the pipe is clean, I'm not sure what your concern is. The crap on the glass will burn off, once you get a fire into the proper heat range, and draft adjusted to get the most efficient burn in the stove. Here's a link to a copy of the manual. https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/fe...ads/74 Manual July 2020.pdf?ver=1606246642338 . You might check it out, and see if you're operating it properly. If I choke the draft on our 91, it'll smoke up the glass like nobodies business. Buck stoves are simple to operate, there is a learning curve related to your experience and wood quality/dryness. Hope this helps.

It was a tapping sound. I had someone come out to clean after and they said it was clean, probably just a cold pipe expanding from the cold. temperatures. The pipe was clean.
Then maybe just heat expansion sounds?

I bet it is just expansion of the pipe. You could pop the front three secondary tubes out and pull the two baffle boards....a mirror and a light flashed up the pipe from inside the stove just to double check that the sweep was right about it being clean. I have a 74 as well and fully closing the inlet will really choke the fire down for me also which is why your glass is dirty. The next hot fire will take care of the build up in the stove. Just wipe the glass clean with damp rag and ashes.

Reactions: ispinwool
Thanks, everyone. I did have the chimney checked and he felt it was just expansion. It's good to know that everything should be good to go for burning this year. I just wanted to be sure that what was left in the firebox wouldn't create any new issues.