Help with capping off 11 inch pipe after removing wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brennemantyler13

Apr 6, 2022
Kalispell, MT
Hello, I am trying to figure out how to seal off an 11 inch galvanized steel pipe that used to connect an old wood stove to my chimney. I got rid of the stove and will no longer be using the chimney. The pipe now has about 2 inches that is sticking out of the brick wall. I was planning on buying a round flue plug but for some reason I'm having a really hard time finding one that is 11 inches in diameter. I'm open to any suggestions that you might have. Thanks in advance for your help :)

Do note that galvanized is not approved as a flue pipe, although perhaps this was only used to pass some more suitable pipe thru the wall?

I'm with Limestone, though, I'd just pull the pipe and repair the wall. Nothing is permanent, and it's likely anyone wanting a new stove will want to pull that to install a more conventional pass-thru, anyway.

11" is an oddball size. There are 10" and 12" round duct end caps. It may require a sheetmetal shop to create a cap that dimension.

It’s not hard to cut brick out and it doesn’t take specialized tools. It’ll also look better, even if the brick isn’t well matched.

I have a brick wall in my 1892 kitchen addition (the third kitchen added to this old house), which had a flue pass-thru, now bricked in. I can get a photo, if it helps.

Now that I think of it, I also have a stoned-in thimble opening in the fireplace below where I'm sitting now, installed ca.1734. Like I said, nothing is permanent, it's all subject to renovation.

It may require a sheetmetal shop to create a cap that dimension.
This ^ ^ ^
Most HVAC shops that do installs have a guy or 3 that do sheet metal work...making a custom cap for that is a piece of cake.
If you wanted to you could get fancy and paint it like a clock or something too...