Help with chainsaw selection.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have also ordered parts from POE. Great service. You will like the Dolmar/Makita/Dolkita!

You will like the Dolmar/Makita/Dolkita!

Just thinking outloud. I heard the Dolmar brand was going away in favor of the Makita brand. All in red no teal.

I know Makita has owned Dolmar since the 90s. But for some reason I'm going to miss the Dolmar brand. It's legendary. Been around longer than Stihl.

Food for thought. Makita sales were roughly 3 billion in sales 2016 from what I've read online. Stihl roughly 1/2 that amount at 1.5 billion in sales ( again just a quick online search) It's sad to think what Dolmar could have been in the chainsaw market if Makita put some money and effort into their marketing and dealer network for Dolmar saws. Because they are excellent saws.

Sweet I just picked up a Stihl 084AV for 75$ canadian (like 5$ US) from the cities surplus sales. It looks almost new. Original bar and chain. Was a fire departement saw and I think it spent most of it's life riding in the back of a fire truck :)

I don't need it (No giant redwood cedars here). But couldn't pass it up :) Sorry for the thread highjack :)

Sweet I just picked up a Stihl 084AV for 75$ canadian (like 5$ US) from the cities surplus sales. It looks almost new. Original bar and chain. Was a fire departement saw and I think it spent most of it's life riding in the back of a fire truck :)

I don't need it (No giant redwood cedars here). But couldn't pass it up :) Sorry for the thread highjack :)

Since you don't need it, send it to me. Double... no, triple your money!

Reactions: D8Chumley
I narrowly missed out on a pile of beat-down 084 parts a couple of months ago, that would've cost me about as much as you paid, @Gotrek . Congratulations!

Slacker:
Dolmar dealers who I have dealt with or know of. Dolmar is not so pissy selling by mail or internet as Stihl is. I guess given the far flung and scarce dealer network, they have to let them cover more range.

-Boyd's outdoor power, dresser WI, WetGunPowder on Arborist Site. Good guy I have used mostly. Haven't needed many parts, just large filter kit, and filters and bar nuts and oil pump kits.
-Edge & Engine, Cassedega NY Used long ago for parts, was good then.
-Baileys had some Dolmars, not sure which ones.
--Amicks

Just cut with the 7900 today, love that saw.