Help with connecting new double wall pipe to existing chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

matt382

Jan 8, 2018
Oakhurst, California
I am replacing the single wall stove pipe in my living room to double wall. It never met the distance requirements for single wall but got overlooked somehow. We didn't build the house.

The chimney appears to be Selkirk Metalbestos SSII. I've purchased Duravent DVL pipe and the adaptor. I cannot get the adjustable single wall out at the very top where it goes into the support box. It is able to rotate about 5-10 degrees, but will not drop out. I have read some people are cutting that pipe and connecting the double wall to it. Information is pretty sparse and scattered and I spent half a day looking for answers, with most searches leading me here.

I have confirmed that the inner part of the adaptor will fit over the single wall. There is about a 1/8" gap though. The photo shows the gap. The adaptor is upside down in the photo so that I could show the gap. Am I crazy to think I should cut the pipe down and use some sealant in the gap?

20220924_113916.jpg 20220924_145649.jpg 20220924_144710.jpg 20220924_145329.jpg

Reactions: LucianW
A little update in case somebody in the future finds themselves in the same situation...

I reached out to Selkirk and to my surprise I was greeted by a human within less than 1 minute. She transferred me to a tech rep that was very familiar with Selkirk product line. He said the piece coming down from support box would not come out from below. He said it would need to be cut, leaving enough space to connect an adaptor. He also said that it wasn't a Selkirk piece, which is confusing. He gave me the direct number to the Duravent tech rep and I still haven't heard back.

The local company that does installs said the same thing as the Selkirk rep. That is reassuring, because I didn't tell them about my conversation with Selkirk. They also said to not use any sealant. A properly drafting chimney doesn't require it. I would still feel better if the Duravent rep said I was good to go in cutting the pipe and installing their components.

Just got of the phone with Duravent. They said that I don't even need the adaptor. Just slide the adjustable piece directly on. Cut it shorter if needed. The main thing and 100% important, there can be no single wall showing when all is said and done. It's really great to deal with companies that have reps that know their product line and the industry they serve. It's becoming rarer and rarer these days.

Reactions: begreen