Help with exhaust pipe configuration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NC Burner

Dec 29, 2010
Sandhills of NC
I have an Enviro mult burner M55 that has overall been working very well for a number of years. I am wanting/needing to modify the outside pipe and cannot seem to find professional help. The stove vents horizontal straight out an exterior wall maybe 20” to a T, down to clean - up to vent, then a 6’ pipe and cap to keep rain out. I would like to redirect the pipe 45 degrees basically at or on top of the T (can I just rotate the T 45 degrees??) then 3 to 5’ at 45 then another 45 elbow to be straight vertical again with the 6’ pipe and maybe another 6 footer on top. Basically just putting the top 8’ or so higher and a few feet to the left of current.

The owners manual shows a flexible 5’ section snaking up a chimney, but how much bending and rising can it do, without stressing the stove or creating a hazard.

I am pretty sure what I want to do is doable, but I need someone qualified to confirm, and I need to buy the elbow(s) and extension.

Any insights or directions for assistance and pipe sourcing would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Pellet Stove Pipe.jpg
    Pellet Stove Pipe.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 145
My clean out is set a 45 and then further up a 45 brings it back straight
Makes the stove pipe look like it is coming out the center of the stove
Basically what you want to do but mine is inside and yours is outside
Go for it I see no problems

Why not go straight up?, looking at the slope of the roof it appears you would only need an extra foot(perhaps the same footage due to the 45* idea) and you wouldn't need to buy a 45*, costs less to do the install and looks much nicer/more professional. Your current set up looks to close to the windows that open for my liking(4foot bare minimum), the pipe will end up a little to close to the window for my liking aswell in either case but acceptable. I'd go through the over hang on the gable end and terminate with a rain cap to eliminate any smoke from entering the windows or your attic vent. The flexible pipe you mentioned is for lining the inside of masonry chimneys only, and you should match the existing pipe using the same make and connections. The manual for your stove will have all the clearances you need to complete the install, your location may have additional requirements.

Reactions: Ssyko and Highbeam
Thank you both for the comments. The reason it has to move it that after today, the upper window will be a door and there will be deck over where it currently goes up. I definitely would match the pipe brand and size, and I guess I do need to extend all above the roof. When you say not within 4 feet of a window is that for the outlet at top? The pipe can pass by a window closer, correct? Where do such specs come from, cause my Enviro manuals don’t address anything like that. I also don’t see anything from the manufacturer about how high this overall system can go (although some people put them in a basement, right) and how far off vertical you can manipulate, although Johneh has deviated OK.

The original configuration was all by the installers (none within a couple hours of us, apparently), and they seemed to know just slightly more than me, which was basically nothing! Remember that commercial, “I always wanted to fix a transmission”! But, on the flip side, the house hasn’t burned down yet, and its been a decade.
Where can you buy 4” pipe, no one apparently sells it around me.

Thanks for the answers.

Enviro Clearances See Page 16 this Enviro Manual
nt Termination Requirements: IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOUR PELLET STOVE BE INSTALLED BY AN AUTHORIZED DEALER/INSTALLER. Figure 17: Use in conjunction with Table 1 for allowable exterior vent termination locations. Table 1: Use in conjunction with Figure 16 for allowable exterior vent termination locations. Letter Minimum Clearance Description A 24 in (61 cm) Above grass, top of plants, wood, or any other combustible materials. B 48 in (122 cm) Beside/below any door or window that may be opened. (18” (46 cm) if outside fresh air installed.) C 12 in (30 cm) Above any door or window that may be opened. (9” (23 cm) if outside fresh air installed.) D 24 in (61 cm) To any adjacent building, fences and protruding parts of the structure. E 24 in (61 cm) Below any eave or roof overhang F 12 in (30 cm) To outside corner. G 12 in (30 cm) To inside corner, combustible wall (vertical and horizontal terminations). H 3 ft (91 cm) within a height of 15 ft (4.5 m) above the meter/regulator assembly To each side of center line extended above natural gas or propane meter/ regulator assembly or mechanical vent. I 3 ft (91 cm) From any forced air intake of other appliance J 12 in (30 cm) Clearance to non-mechanical air supply inlet to building, or the combustion air inlet to any appliance. K 24 in (61 cm) Clearance above roof line for vertical terminations. L 7 ft (2.13 m) Clearance above paved sidewalk or paved driveway located on public property

Reactions: Ssyko
Interesting, my old Enviro manual from 2003 doesn't have the "exception" for outside air allowing termination to be 18" away from a window or door that opens, but I see it in the M55 manual, that sounds insane to me as even at 4' in real world situations you will have smoke entering a open window or a less than perfect seal around a door or window, at the roof line you would have no smoke entering the building. I wouldn't terminate the exhaust anywhere close to any opening or anything that opens in a house unless you really enjoy the smell of wood burning. And we have all seen the "professional installs" on here, many of which I would fail, but yes I agree a professional must do the work to meet code, although it seems the professional needs direction or he will terminate it straight out the back and call it good as it meets bare minimum code, perhaps this is an option for you although not ideal. In this case, since your putting a deck in that location, yes the 45* will work, but I would terminate it above the roof line 24", as termination under the eves would be 24" below eves placing the termination in line with your nose and face, not good.

Reactions: Ssyko