HELP WITH FEED SETTING ON HARMAN XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOGG0494

Feb 18, 2015
hidson valley,new york
new to pellet stove.got a harman xxv in september,for 5 months kept feed setting on #4 and worked fine.tried a few premium pellets(okanaga,turman,hamers,barefoots)same thing keeps happening.i set feed on #4.for 2-3 hrs it runs fine,1 inch ash lip on burnpot.then after 3hrs i have to turn feed down to 3 or i will get unburned pellets over the edge.2-3hrs of #3 i have to turn feeder down to #2 or same issue.eventually i get feed setting to 1.5 or i will get unburned pellets falling over edge.this has happened on all 5 of the pellets i have tried.the issue is the stove on feed setting 1.5 produces way less heat than on setting 4.i go from 72 degrees on first floor to 66.i am giving the stove a thorough cleaning every 5 days

You are trying to maintain 72 degrees on the second floor. Are you on stove temperature or room temperature where the stove is installed. You will find when the stove or room demands heat, if the feed rate is set too high, initially, as the stove ramps up, you may find pellet spilling over the edge. As the stove or room comes to temperature, there will be period of steady state pellet feed. At temperature, the computer asks for less fuel and begins to cool down until it again demands pellets to bring the stove up to temperature again and the process repeats. The stove will not react to a change of setting immediately. It could take as long a 15 minutes to settle into an change in setting. Remember fuel quality could add an additional variable. My Advice: Set the stover temperature at 3 and feed rate at 3. Wait 15 min let the stove settle. Increase the stove temp in half number increments allowing time to settle at each interval until you reach your desired temp. Observe the pot. You may increase feed rate to 3.5 but I have never found a need to go there. If it's very cold and you have a constant medium flame in order to keep the rooms to temp, increasing feed rate may beneficial, but as soon as outside temperature rises and demand from the stove decreases, you may find the feed rate is again too high and you will have to dial it back. I would like others here to chime in. If I am unclear ask questions.

More info please. Room or stove temp? What is your cleaning procedure? How often?

stove is set at stove temp.i clean stove every 5 days.complete scrape down of all internal parts,clean esp sensor.thoroughly scrape clean burn pot.remove burn pot plate and vacum debris.we have been having temps around -10 overnight and 10 during day.i am only trying to heat the first floor(1400 sqf)i have to keep the temp. setting all the way up to 7 and blower on high to try and keep temp. on first floor to 68-72.if i put the feeder on anything higher than 1.5 i will get a full pot and unburned pellets falling over edge.if i left feed at 3 or 3.5 i can watch the unburned pellets flying off the front.this happens with okanagas,turmans,barefoots,hamers.pellet type does not seem to make a difference.this just started happening within last few weeks.first 5 months i had stove i left it on stove temp and feed 3.5 and never had a issue

Have you ever cleaned the ESP Sensor, Flu and fines box?

No need to clean the ESP every 5 days. Do you have an OAK and are you running in auto or manual?

clean esp every 5 days with stove.since stove is 5 months old never cleaned flu or fine box
Having handled the ESP so many times, I would suspect the ESP. Clean fine box, flu first. Others may have additional advice.

I read stove mode but he didn't state auto vs manual, didn't answer the OAK question either.

Read this first;
https://www.hearth.com/talk/index.php?threads/91030/

If you have an OAK check for a restriction due to snow build up. Also check for condensation. Pellets spilling over indicates incomplete combustion, the board is calling for more fuel as the flue temps are not being met . Y ou could have an ESP problem, pull it measure resistance

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/harman-esp-test.106847/

Clean the fines box. Perform dollar bill test.

Do you have a lot of soot in the stove, on the glass? Are you getting any error codes?

Last edited:
have you cleaned out the exaust? I have the save stove, and pretty much keep it at 4, 3.5 on feed rate with real bad pellets, but nothing like whats going on with yours.

I have kept stove in stove temp mode and auto
I will clean fines tray today
Glass gets dirty right away
Gaskets around glass are perfect
I have a voltmeter but how do i test the esp
Not sure on OAK my pipe comes horizontally out of stove,through wall,then bends 90 degrees up(has a removable cap at bottom)goes up 4 ft then has a stainless 90 1 foot long

Status
Not open for further replies.