Harman ESP Test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gfreek

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2010
WNYS
Is there a way to check the ESP besides replacing it?? I assume it works on resistance. What happens if you jump the plug terminals?? Such as on P38+, 2 knob board..

A perfectly new red wire esp reads about 1.1 k ohm (at about 70 F). This will change with temperature since that's what it does... I would guess a bad one would show open.... That's where my experience stops...

A perfectly new red wire esp reads about 1.1 k ohm (at about 70 F). This will change with temperature since that's what it does... I would guess a bad one would show open..
Thats a start..thanks

A Harman DDM.

A Harman DDM.

Will that work on a 2 knob board with no DDM plug?? Can you check the ESP by itself or will it plug into the back of the board and act like an ESP ???

Will that work on a 2 knob board with no DDM plug?? Can you check the ESP by itself or will it plug into the back of the board and act like an ESP ???

depends on the P38....3 knob board, you can plug the DDM into......2 knob board (old TURBO boards)....cant plug the DDM into, so, no

this is a good example as to why the dip switches on the newer boards need to be checked and set correctly if replacing the ESP. The red wire probe will work in all boards, EXCEPT the old P38 2 knob boards, where it will fail famously. If replacing a black wire with a red wire probe in any of the other harman units, be mindful of dip switch setting number 5...needs to be ON for a red wire, and OFF for a black wire ESP probe..

depends on the P38....3 knob board, you can plug the DDM into......2 knob board (old TURBO boards)....cant plug the DDM into, so, no

whats a DDM??? If its for testing a Harman stove where can I buy it and how much $$$;sick

whats a DDM??? If its for testing a Harman stove where can I buy it and how much $$$;sick
Digital Diagnostic Module........your friendly dashing Harman dealer can probably sell you one, part number 3-40-05401, several hundred bucks or so....

Reactions: iceguy4
Last year I was quoted around $350.00 but I decided I really didn't need one because I have a multi-meter and I know how to use it to troubleshoot.

Last year I was quoted around $350.00 but I decided I really didn't need one because I have a multi-meter and I know how to use it to troubleshoot.

agreed- most users wouldnt need one. They are nice for a tech as it allows us to somewhat check things without having to yank parts off and wires apart. For instance, often a bad ESP will read 532 degrees, even on a cold stove...the DDM tells us this, and within 10 seconds, without taking anything apart.....nice.

Reactions: kinsmanstoves

Will
will this DDM help with problems like...two days ago my new boiler spit about 2 cups into the ash pan. I was half awake around 4 AM and the stove sounded like it was feeding constantly (unusal sound as my feedrate knob is at 3.5) I didn't pay much pay it much attention as I was 1/2 asleep. next morning when I filled it I noticed all the pellets in tha ashpan. this is the secound time I have found pellets in my ashpan. the last time I was woken up by fire alarm and smoke in basement. boiler was burning by the time I got down there. My dealer is saying "wait and see...." thoughts

yea....methinks it'd be a waste of $350 or so......check yo ESP probe for cleaning

yea....methinks it'd be a waste of $350 or so......check yo ESP probe for cleaning

Myybe my ESP is fussy. I kept getting 3 blink codes inspite of cleaning it. I did my first verticle vent pipe cleaning and was supprized how dirty it was. now every weekend I clean all vent pipe with a dryer vent brush and no more code 3 blinks....now its this "anomaly"

anomalous, erratic stove issues are VERY tough to figure, as when the tech gets out there "well, it isnt doing it now..."

is the probe red or the wires...mine has a red and black wire
thanks in advance

This is the red ESP, everything else besides this red esp is the old thermistor style ESP which has the higher resistance when checked with multimeter esp red.jpg

Reactions: iceguy4
If replacing a black wire with a red wire probe in any of the other harman units, be mindful of dip switch setting number 5...needs to be ON for a red wire, and OFF for a black wire ESP probe..
So the red wire will work on 2 knob board if you change dip switch setting, correct?? Just for the heck of it I have the black wire ESP, 2 knob board.. Thinking of getting spare..

So the red wire will work on 2 knob board if you change dip switch setting, correct?? Just for the heck of it I have the black wire ESP, 2 knob board.. Thinking of getting spare..

unfortunately I believe you can't, the red esp's (a K type thermocouple) is only compatible with some of the newer control boards than what you have, if you want specifics i can give you control board part numbers that are compatible with the red esp's monday but I'm almost certain the older two knob boards can't use the red esp

nope- you cant use the red probe on the old-style 2 knob P38 board

I had the same issue with my Accentra insert over the weekend - 3 flashes, but I also had a very slow-to-start distribution fan.

So I cleaned the ESP and the whole stove really well, then pulled the distribution fan and cleaned it from top to bottom. So far, the problem has not cropped up again, but I fear my ESP is bad - hence the iffy performance of the distribution fan.

Any thoughts on my analysis?

I had the same issue with my Accentra insert over the weekend - 3 flashes, but I also had a very slow-to-start distribution fan.

So I cleaned the ESP and the whole stove really well, then pulled the distribution fan and cleaned it from top to bottom. So far, the problem has not cropped up again, but I fear my ESP is bad - hence the iffy performance of the distribution fan.

Any thoughts on my analysis?

most likely not a bad esp, just a dirty one that probably had ash surrounding it, the control board decides when to turn on and off the dist. blower and vary the speed based on esp temps. If the blower came on much sooner and no more 3 blink status at any time while operating the stove after the cleaning and you don't notice it again until the stove is due for another cleaning it is unlikely your esp is intermittently going bad but just not getting good hot exhaust gasses flowing over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.