Help with Hampton hi300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oilheatsux

Jan 4, 2019
I just purchased a new house and it came with a hi300 insert. After looking at the inside I decided to replace all fire bricks and baffles. All were cracked pretty bad. Went through stove to clean it and noticed the smoke baffle, which is a welded piece of angle iron, is pretty much gone in the middle section. I noticed on the newer models they are replaceable. My question is, 1- how important is the baffle. 2- if it is important, how to replace. Can i order newer style, cut out old, drill and tap for newer style.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased a new house and it came with a hi300 insert. After looking at the inside I decided to replace all fire bricks and baffles. All were cracked pretty bad. Went through stove to clean it and noticed the smoke baffle, which is a welded piece of angle iron, is pretty much gone in the middle section. I noticed on the newer models they are replaceable. My question is, 1- how important is the baffle. 2- if it is important, how to replace. Can i order newer style, cut out old, drill and tap for newer style.

I had the Regency version of the stove and I will say it is a pretty important part unless you want a bunch of smoke pouring into the house.
I would think more importantly if there are that many issues I would worry about there being an overfire of the stove that compromises its integrity.
Is everything else in pretty good order? Especially the door gaskets.

I had the Regency version of the stove and I will say it is a pretty important part unless you want a bunch of smoke pouring into the house.
I would think more importantly if there are that many issues I would worry about there being an overfire of the stove that compromises its integrity.
Is everything else in pretty good order? Especially the door gaskets.
Ive actually used it a couple times already. No problems. No overheating that i can see. Door gasket looks ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chazcarr
I was the original owner on mine. I went through my dealer. The manufacturer replaced the stove.

It is important it protects the air chanel in the fron from extreme heat. With out it that chanel will eventually warp and crack. We have retro fitted some with new deflectors you have to cut out the old one and drill and tap holes to bolt the new one in.

It is important it protects the air chanel in the fron from extreme heat. With out it that chanel will eventually warp and crack. We have retro fitted some with new defectors you have to cut out the old one and drill and tap holes to bolt the new one in.
Thanks. Thats what i was looking for.

It is important it protects the air chanel in the fron from extreme heat. With out it that chanel will eventually warp and crack. We have retro fitted some with new defectors you have to cut out the old one and drill and tap holes to bolt the new one what
It is important it protects the air chanel in the fron from extreme heat. With out it that chanel will eventually warp and crack. We have retro fitted some with new defectors you have to cut out the old one and drill and tap holes to bolt the new one in.
What grade/ type of bolt would you use stainless? Grade 8?

Unrelated to the OP but since we have a few HI300 owners here I was wondering, do you happen to get residue on your stove glass on the extreme left and extreme right? I have that issue. Seems like it's clear-ish in the middle but the sides get a vertical column of residue on them after even a couple hours of burning clean, dry hardwoods. In looking at the holes for the airwash (open the door and they're just above the firebox opening on the face), it almost looks to me like they didn't put the holes all the way to the sides causing it to not keep the edges clean. Just curious if you've experienced the same. Thanks.