Help with hooking up stove to old chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rabbit77

Oct 5, 2018
New York
Hello. This is a new post. Not sure it is in the right place! Anyway:
Question:
I have a wood stove in an all concrete loft. There are two existing chimneys, brick, with terra cotta liners in my space, unused. I believe at one time they were connected to stoves, furnaces? Would it be OK to use stovepipe to go from the stove through the brick wall, through the terra cotta liner? How do you cut terra cotta? Is there a flange/seal between the flanged stovepipe and the terra cotta liner?

Hello. This is a new post. Not sure it is in the right place! Anyway:
Question:
I have a wood stove in an all concrete loft. There are two existing chimneys, brick, with terra cotta liners in my space, unused. I believe at one time they were connected to stoves, furnaces? Would it be OK to use stovepipe to go from the stove through the brick wall, through the terra cotta liner? How do you cut terra cotta? Is there a flange/seal between the flanged stovepipe and the terra cotta liner?
It may be ok if the chimneys are in good condition and are built up to code.

It may be ok if the chimneys are in good condition and are built up to code.
Yes, they are industrial grade and solidly built. How to attach a flanged connector to the terra cotta? Screws? Is there an adhesive/sealer I can use? Would it be OK to make a hole through the brick and the terra-cotta liner and just attach a flanged connector to the outside of the brick?

Yes, they are industrial grade and solidly built. How to attach a flanged connector to the terra cotta? Screws? Is there an adhesive/sealer I can use? Would it be OK to make a hole through the brick and the terra-cotta liner and just attach a flanged connector to the outside of the brick?
Ok well assuming the liners have been inspected with a camera and they are in good shape. The chimney is built to code not just solidly. And the clay liner is sized correctly for the stove you will be using. Then yes you can do it. There are lots of ways to cut through the brick. We typically just use a demo hammer to go through the brick then an angle grinder to cut through the clay. After that you put a clay crock through the clay and seal it with refractory mortar to the clay liner. And fix the outside with mortar to match the existing.

Reactions: webby3650
Hello. Measured the inside dimensions of the terra cotta flue = 16" x 6.5". Wood stove has a 6" dia flue. What is a "clay croc"? Where to buy this and refractory mortar? I assume the croc allows a connection to normal 6" stove pipe?

Hello. Measured the inside dimensions of the terra cotta flue = 16" x 6.5". Wood stove has a 6" dia flue. What is a "clay croc"? Where to buy this and refractory mortar? I assume the croc allows a connection to normal 6" stove pipe?
Ok that clay liner is way to large to run a 6" stove into. You are only allowed 3x the volume of the stove outlet at most you are way beyond that. It will not work well. If you want to do it you would need to install a stainless liner

6" round = 28 sq in, terra cotta flue = 104 sq in, pretty close though. No way to use this?
Not by code no not without a liner. And regardless of code the performance would be very poor.