help with hookup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeffrey mitzel

Oct 23, 2019
springfield wv.
need help/advice, want to use existing indoor oil furnace as back up for outdoor wood unit taylor 750.outdoor unit is installed with circulator inside 3ft.from oil unit and feeding through water to water plate exchanger on return line,right now this pump is running 24/7 when turned on.i did it this way just to keep water moving from outside,water temp. from outside is controlled by aquastat on stove set at 160-180 .indoor unit has 2 zones controlled by Honeywell valves and thermostats and taco pump.MAIN QUESTION how can I hook up indoor unit and use everything such as zone valves and circlulator pump BUT not have burner fire unless outside water temp, drops,can I just install snapdisk control from outdoor unit pump to indoor burner controls ,would indoor vales and circulator still work controlled by thermostats,or would I need to do more than snapdisk? if snapdisk would work what temp. range and type would I need?open or close on rise thank you!

Most times the OWB would be heating the IWB also, and the IWB aquastat would still be controlling the oil burner. You'd just maybe lower the settings on it some. Not clear on your setup.

Several questions- it sounds like you have it tied into a oil boiler in the house? You said furnace and to some that means forced air. Just making sure.
Is the plate exchanger for domestic water? If so I'd plumb it in first, then the oil boiler to avoid fluctuating domestic water temps.
Main pump coming in from the OWB should push the loop (be mounted on the OWB), sucking in from the OWB can cause cavitation. But it may be working fine as is.
If it's an oil boiler you probably could route the power to the burner through a switch, snap disc or relay that would break power to the burner when the OWB is hot. I'm guessing a bit here though as I'm not sure quite how it's plumbed, I would normally separate the OWB from the oil boiler with a flat plate to maintain the pressure, and so heat can't backfeed to the OWB.