Help with Ideal Steel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A good friend of mine had the exact same issues. Swore off cat stoves forever. Went by his house last week to help him out. Took 3 8ft 2x4 cut to 18inces. First problem was a clogged cap screen.angle grinder fixed that. Loaded stove with 2x4 and built a top down fire. One thing led to another and now he is in love with ideal steel

So this is crazy. Just risked life and limb to climb on the roof in snow and sub-zero to check out the chimbley. Lo and behold my chimney cap is absolutely clogged with black creosote just as Byrond describes. The inside of the chimney itself, at least at the top, looks the same. The reason this is so strange to me is that I've been heating with wood for five years, and I've cleaned my chimney each fall. Never have I found more that the slightest coating of dusty soot in the chimney, nothing like this. One of the selling points of the cat stoves is that they supposedly "clean" the smoke, and thus you're supposed to have cleaner chimneys. What gives? Any ideas? (Even acknowledging my supply wood is not perfect, it's better than it's been in past years when I've had zero problems). Do people use anti-creosote products in their cat stoves?

If there's anything good I can say about cleaning the chimney it's that I've been abel to do it once per year, in the fall. Now it looks like I have a dangerous winter chore. But thanks for this tip. I never would have looked up there until the spring...

BTW, my chimney is 7 feet above the roof, 6 feet below, say a foot in the trusses, and I'm still short. Never thought I would have to be embarrassed about having a short chimney, of all things,

So this is crazy. Just risked life and limb to climb on the roof in snow and sub-zero to check out the chimbley. Lo and behold my chimney cap is absolutely clogged with black creosote just as Byrond describes. The inside of the chimney itself, at least at the top, looks the same. The reason this is so strange to me is that I've been heating with wood for five years, and I've cleaned my chimney each fall. Never have I found more that the slightest coating of dusty soot in the chimney, nothing like this. One of the selling points of the cat stoves is that they supposedly "clean" the smoke, and thus you're supposed to have cleaner chimneys. What gives? Any ideas? (Even acknowledging my supply wood is not perfect, it's better than it's been in past years when I've had zero problems). Do people use anti-creosote products in their cat stoves?

If there's anything good I can say about cleaning the chimney it's that I've been abel to do it once per year, in the fall. Now it looks like I have a dangerous winter chore. But thanks for this tip. I never would have looked up there until the spring...

BTW, my chimney is 7 feet above the roof, 6 feet below, say a foot in the trusses, and I'm still short. Never thought I would have to be embarrassed about having a short chimney, of all things,

I'm going to take the liberty of answering my own question. Slow start up times mean more smoke in the chimney at low temps, the cat finally engages and keeps the flue temps low throughout the burn cycle, meaning more build-up. I guess this might be the new status quo. The stuff was thick, but dry, anyway. I'm definitely going to use more kindling to get a hot fire sooner. Thanks again for all the good advice. Never would have looked at the chimney cap!

Reactions: Huntindog1
Good to hear you've found the cause. You're not the first to report greater accumulations with a cat stove. We've heard this reported several times this season. Cat stoves often have cooler flue gas temps. When the flue gas temp drops below 250F creosote starts accumulating. Dry wood, a double-wall connector and insulated chimney or chimney liner help keep buildup down.

I had that problem with my Princess, had to check it out about this time of year and clean it, it was always between half clogged and 90% clogged. One year I burned soso wood but after that my wood was always under 20%, the nature of the beast I guess, loved the stove nonetheless.

I would recommend getting rid of the screen. It will clog first and then lead to poor draft thus lowering the flue temps and causing buildup near the top which worsens the draft which causes a cooler startup thus causing build up further down the pipe. Next time you have a roaring fire and it's cool and windy, take you infrared thermo and take a reading of the screen

Glad to hear you got it sorted a bit. Nice setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.