Help with Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJW

Feb 9, 2016
USA
What brand is this Fireplace? How efficient is it? Can anyone fill me in on any more details? Thank you

Attachments

• FP.JPG
    FP.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 123
What brand is this Fireplace? How efficient is it? Can anyone fill me in on any more details? Thank you
Not sure, but it looks like an old smoke-blower. If you're serious about heating with wood, I would look into replacing it with a modern EPA-certified insert that re-burns the smoke. There is a range of these, including value versions that are reasonably-priced. You will use much less wood, get more heat per load, and you won't be smoking out your poor neighbors. :oops:

Not sure, but it looks like an old smoke-blower. If you're serious about heating with wood, I would look into replacing it with a modern EPA-certified insert that re-burns the smoke. There is a range of these, including value versions that are reasonably-priced. You will use much less wood, get more heat per load, and you won't be smoking out your poor neighbors. :oops:
I am new to this and very much interested in a better system. Can you point me in the right direction? Just some model suggestions so I can do my homework. Thank you

First we need to know what it is. Is this an insert in a masonry fireplace or is it a zero clearance manufactured fireplace? Is there a masonry chimney attached or a metal chimney?

First we need to know what it is. Is this an insert in a masonry fireplace or is it a zero clearance manufactured fireplace? Is there a masonry chimney attached or a metal chimney?
All masonry construction no metal insert. House was built in 65.

If this is all masonry I am wondering it this unit can be pulled out of the fireplace?

LOL. It looks like an insert to me, but I could be wrong. I'm wondering if it is held in place by pins (like under those two balls on the bottom lip) or if it is just free to slide out. Most inserts are the latter. Try giving it a good tug or two.

If this is an insert, we'll need to have the fireplace opening size, depth and rear dimensions to figure out a replacement. My guess is that it may need to be a flush unit. The mantel looks pretty close.

I'm wondering if it is held in place by pins (like under those two balls on the bottom lip) or if it is just free to slide out
Hmm, there are a couple more on top...maybe just decoration?
If this is an insert, we'll need to have the fireplace opening size, depth and rear dimensions to figure out a replacement. My guess is that it may need to be a flush unit. The mantel looks pretty close.
It's 15 bricks wide and ten tall; Pretty good-sized. Maybe rig a mantel shield? If he's lucky, he lives near me and can persuade me to sell him the Buck 91. He'll need a decent-sized house to suck up all that heat, though...>>

Hmm, there are a couple more on top...maybe just decoration?
It's 15 bricks wide and ten tall; Pretty good-sized. Maybe rig a mantel shield? If he's lucky, he lives near me and can persuade me to sell him the Buck 91. He'll need a decent-sized house to suck up all that heat, though...>>
The pins are there for decoration only. It's 44" X 30" and has a pretty elaborate hot air circulation and ventilation/air intake system inside. The cold air intake is run out the back of the chimney and will need to be cement shut after its removed.

Yeah, that was just a guess about the pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.