Help with install regarding stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knie0012

Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Thank you guys for your expertise and wealth of knowledge. I am new to the stove game and again find myself in the need of advise and guidance.

I have done much reading, research, and went to the local shops asking questions, however...

I have a 6 inch pipe, and learned that going double wall from the stove to the support box through the flat ceiling, then switching to insulated pipe out the slanted roof is the plan, no angles or bends (hopefully).

Does this sound right? I have done reading but find myself confused. Does the support box give support for the chimney above? Does it give clearances to combustibles in the ceiling? Do I need to frame the box in? Do I even need one? Could I shoot straight out and connect to the insulated pipe without a box?

Also, what is the consensus on brands of pipe? I have been told that excell is the only way to go. But the stores around here said the Lowes, HD brands are fine, just not the best. What are your thoughts?

Does my chimney plan seem to be ok? Do I need a different "thing" like a support box that goes through my roof?

Thanks for the help!

Jason
Anchorage, AK

Yes, you need the ceiling support when transitioning to class A pipe. When properly framed the support box will give you the proper clearance to combustibles. If the chimney is going into a attic you will need a attic insulation shield. Pretty much all the chimney pipe manufactures have a good explanation of what products have to go where in relation to the installation.

Definately follow exactly what the manufacturer of the ULC listed product you get says to do. If you are looking for good instructions, check out Simpson or Selkirk websites - they both have good install guides on their sites. Everyone else's will be similar, but I know those two are detailed and complete.

Nice link. Thanks.

The Selkirk slide show is suggesting a support box for cathedral ceiling only. Do the straps that get screwed to the framed in supports for the "living room to attic transition" in the ceiling joists serve as a support box?

There was a post on this thread stating that all need a support box. Or are all manufacturers different?

Jason

There are basically 2 types of supports: the cathedral and the regular ceiling support. The cathedral is a box/cube type support that gets secured to the framing. The regular ceiling support is round, but it too gets secured to framing. There is a "video" button somewhere in that slide show that shows them placing the cut 2x4's which are used to frame both supports.

No problem. Basically, with any inside installation, it will go something like this from bottom to top: stove, stove pipe (single wall or double wall), ceiling support box and stove pipe to class a adapter, runs of class a, insulation shield, flashing/storm collar, rain cap.

Each type of ceiling support is rated for a different amount of class a it can support. My Selkirk cathedral box can hold 15' of class a, if memory serves. The rounded supports will hold a little more, I believe (again, if memory serves). They also make a support system that you can attach to the length of class a that exits your roof for additional support in a situation that might require it. It's basically like a set of "wings" that slide down over the section and then get screwed in to the roof sheathing, I believe.

I have had a similar situation. It is hard to tell exactly what box/support kit you need sometimes. I ordered the incorrect one more than once. Here is a link to a thread with some pictures from when I did mine. I was passing through a flat ceiling then about five feet of attic space. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/31652/P0/ If your situation is like mine, You need a "ceiling support finish kit", an "attic insulation shield". See post number 12 on this thread. You will also need a "stove pipe connector to put through your finish kit and connect to your double wall in the attic space. . I know where one is if you are interested. It is for a metalbestos

I have metalbestos double wall pipe going through my attic space. It works well. The metalbestos pipe adaptor ( for connecting your single wall and double wall inside your ceiling support finish kit) is only sold in twos. The store I bought mine from still has the other on their shelves and I would love to help them sell it. I bought the finish kit and attic insulation shield from them as well. Let me know if you want to order it. It was through ACE Hardware. Excellent Folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.