Help with install (swapping stove with different exhaust heights)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NotSure

Aug 20, 2017
NH
Hi all,
Apologize in advance as these are probably some amateur questions.

Picking up a Harman P43 tomorrow to replace my existing Quad Contour. Trying to understand what I need to do to install and if I can use the existing pipe that was in place from the Contour? I will need to add the OAK piping but the current exhaust pipe sits about 6" higher than the exhaust port for the P43 (assuming direct out the wall).

What are my best options here and am I in DIY territory? Its a used stove so no dealer helping with install. The stove does come with all piping the old owner used - just trying to avoid new holes in the house.

Thanks

what about a T off the stove, angled to a short straight pipe (6") then to a 90 deg elbow through the thimble? Else raise the hearth to run a straight horizontal out.

what about a T off the stove, angled to a short straight pipe (6") then to a 90 deg elbow through the thimble? Else raise the hearth to run a straight horizontal out.
Thanks for the reply. Will have to see about your first suggestion. I think raising the hearth is out of the question as I think 6" is probably a bit much and would look weird.

They make a adjustable 90. U should be able to twist enough to line up.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I have a similar issue with my new P61a that is in route. I showed the dealer pics and measurements and his plan is to put a T out the back with a 90 to get out my existing hole.

So that will make u at least 8 inches away from wall.
If it were me I would just build a nice platform and finish it out in a nice tile or even drywall to blend in with the wall. But that's just me

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I have a similar issue with my new P61a that is in route. I showed the dealer pics and measurements and his plan is to put a T out the back with a 90 to get out my existing hole.
I think I may go the same route. T off the stove into a 90 and out. My other dilemma is the stove came with Harmans oak kit but Im not sure I want to mess around with swapping out wall thimbles. Might just use a generic oak that doesnt connect into the exhaust thimble.

The piping just gets a little more convoluted. I changed out brands of stoves (different exhaust heights) and from a corner install to a straight install. I couldn't move the pipe over because of obstructions in the wall, so had to use the same hole. The exhaust does angle upwards and that is a clean out T at the exhaust from the stove. Not pretty, but it has worked well since installation fall of 2015

P43 pipe set up.jpg

p43 set up - not trnd.jpg

Raised hearth. 6” is quite low. My freestanding stove is on a 10” tall hearth.