Help with my fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Schmitty81

Nov 5, 2017
USA
IMG_7386.JPG IMG_7388.JPG IMG_7389.JPG IMG_7390.JPG IMG_7393.JPG IMG_7395.JPG
Moved into a new house and have never used the fireplace.

It's a majestic fireplace that looks like it use to be wood burning but has a log lighter valve and gas logs.

I am not sure if this has been converted to gas logs or what.

Is it only for gas or how can I use real wood again?

I attached pictures.

Thanks for any advice on this fireplace.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I can tell from the manual the R36 is a wood fireplace. It looks like it may have a gas log kit added? The "logs" look like ceramic logs.

As far as I can tell from the manual the R36 is a wood fireplace. It looks like it may have a gas log kit added? The "logs" look like ceramic logs.

THis is what I have found too.

I guess my question is what do I need to do to burn wood again?

Anything or just take the ceramic logs out?

Or do I need to out a log starter in instead of the log kit?

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing to do is have a certified sweep come out and verify the fireplace is ready to burn wood. The chimney system should be inspected for integrity, safety and to make sure it's been cleaned. The sweep can also verify if that is already a log starter system.

You can check here for a certified sweep in your area:
www.csia.org