help with my installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rachel

Sep 28, 2008
western ma
i'm getting ready to install our pellet stove in our basement. the foundation is not high enough above the ground to allow for the 12" clearance to the ground that the manual calls for, so we are going to have to go out through the foundation and then up the side of the house and use one of these diagonal like caps. it seems pretty straight forward to me, but there are a few things i'm not clear on. first, the piece that runs up the outside of the house, is it better for it to be shorter (1') or longer (3'-4') or does it not matter? also, how exactly do i anchor that exterior pipe to the house? i know there is the bracket, but must i find a stud to attach the bracket or....? any other bits of helpful info regarding this type of installation before i jump in?

I have a DuraVent kit...through the wall thimble...about 6 inches out to a clean out tee...the tee is a must...then up 8'...90....then diagolnal vent cover....I anchored with 3" galvinized screws, through a 1x3....I did add a piece of galvinized 1/4 screening to keep Mr. Bird out during the non running monthes...

That's the way the kit came....I put the stove in the corner of my living room so ahd to 45 out....6' of rise is good...I wouldn't go any less...

Having at least 60" of vertical rise helps maintain favorable draft in the event of a power failure which should mean less smoke in the house if power goes out.

thanks. that's useful information. i'm planning to buy the piping online from duravent. any advice before i place an order, or just common sense. also, i was wondering if there are any helpful tips out there for successful installs. this is a great source of information.

irm said:
thanks. that's useful information. i'm planning to buy the piping online from duravent. any advice before i place an order, or just common sense. also, i was wondering if there are any helpful tips out there for successful installs. this is a great source of information.
If you're going to use Dura-Vent, go to the Simpson Duravent website and grab a copy of their installation manual. It will tell you a lot about how to do the install from a piping standpoint. Also review your stove's manual as that will tell you how to install it for your situation (there are usually multiple methods outlined so you can pick the one that matches yours).

ok, so i've got the duravent catalog with all the instructions and i think i understand it all and know what i want. but then at the end i read something about offset. what on earth is this and how does it affect or potentially affect me and my stove. just when you think you've got it...

Status
Not open for further replies.