Help with new install-Quadrafire 7100 replacing old Superior

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oshkoshguy

Feb 25, 2015
Wisconsin
Hello,
I'm looking for some help and opinions. We just purchased our home and want to replace the Superior HCE-4050A model wood fireplace (Installed around 1994). In looking at doing so, I've been researching a bunch of different models and we really like Quadrafire 7100.

Our current FP is on an exterior wall, 1st floor with an exterior chase box approx 51" wide by 26" deep. According to the specs I have two options for running the outside air inlet...depending on which option we choose the rough opening measurements change. Seeing how I really don't want to redo the chase and make it wider I wanted to stick with the approx 43" width RO option, and run the air inlet directly out the right side of the FP...the fireplace company doesn't want to install it that way, and wants to run the air inlet out the back of the FP, making the RO 50 7/8" width. With framing etc I can't do the wider option without changing the chase dimensions. (I haven't looked inside the chase yet to see what was used to frame it, but I have to imagine it was done with 2*4's.

Salesman discussed air directly coming into the air inlet and if there isn't a bend in the ducting it will consistently allow cold air into the home. I thought this model has/had an Outside Air Control Handle to close the air inlet when not in use. He mentioned frost building up in the winter because of this.

Our current air inlet faces to the East, and if we moved it with the 7100 to the right it would face to the South. We also have a four seasons room that faces to the south that would help block the wind.

We are new to wood burning, so thank you for the help.

fireplace.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was installing Heat & Glo Northstars, we ran into this same issue.
What we came up with was a low profile offset for the incoming air.
The material is sheet aluminum, the same stuff we make chase tops out of.
That forced the air to change directions twice before entering the firebox.
Basically, it's a box 3" deep x 12" wide x 60" tall.
It has a six" hole in each end, on opposite faces, centered on the width &
with the centerpoint located 4" down from each end
We removed the attachment collar from the side of the unit
& bolted that onto the offset box near the top.
We bolt the entire assembly over the opening left by the collar.
I will try to upload a sketch...

NorthstarOffset.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was installing Heat & Glo Northstars, we ran into this same issue.
What we came up with was a low profile offset for the incoming air.
The material is sheet aluminum, the same stuff we make chase tops out of.
That forced the air to change directions twice before entering the firebox.
Basically, it's a box 3" deep x 12" wide x 60" tall.
It has a six" hole in each end, on opposite faces, centered on the width &
with the centerpoint located 4" down from each end
We removed the attachment collar from the side of the unit
& bolted that onto the offset box near the top.
We bolt the entire assembly over the opening left by the collar.
I will try to upload a sketch...

Daksy--Thanks for the input, so if I'm understanding this correctly instead of the inlet being closer to the floor (coming directly out of the unit), it would be positioned up several feet towards the top of the fireplace and the box would funnel or channel the air into the fireplace unit?

Also, do you have any input regarding the 7100? I've read almost every thread on this unit. Expensive...so I'm wondering if its worth the $$$?

I tried climbing on the roof this morning to get a precise measurement of the chase, but its darn cold and I need help carrying ladders...I think I'm going to wait until spring so I don't break my neck.

The offset Fresh air box is attached to the fireplace where the intake is located.
That's on the lower right side of the unit.
The actual penetration thru the chase is higher than the top of the firebox.
The 7100 is VERY similar to the HnG Northstar. They are REALLY good units. Costly for sure, but MAN do they throw heat.
You won't be disappointed when you're sitting in front of it & watching the secondaries doin their thing.
It will take a couple of years to pay you back for your investment, but once it's paid for itself, you'll be a happy camper.

Last edited:
The offset Fresh air box is attached to the fireplace where the intake is located.
That's on the lower right side of the unit.
The actual penetration thru the chase is higher than the top of the firebox.
The 7100 is VERY similar to the HnG Northstar. They are REALLY good units. Costly for sure, but MAN do they throw heat.
You won't be disappointed when you're sitting in front of it & watching the secondaries doin their thing.
It will take a couple of years to pay you back for your investment, but once it's paid for itself, yo'll be a happy camper.

Does this box mount on the outside of the chase on the siding? Or inside the chase...if there is room? I'm thinking on the outside. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.