Help with new Stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brown2016

Jan 6, 2018
Young Harris
Hi all,
My husband and I are new owners of our first wood stove. It has been a learning curve but it seems to be working out. Lately, every time I open the door to add more wood, it literally showers me with sparks. Not just the typical few sparks here and there as you slowly open the door. I usually try and make sure the damper is closed so that air is not flower underneath as we do have an outside air intake. What is causing this stove to constantly shower me with sparks, not embers but sparks?

This could be the species of wood being burned. Some wood can really spark a lot when poked at. Locust and hedge are a couple examples that do this. Other species rarely shoot out embers and sparks like that.

This could be the species of wood being burned. Some wood can really spark a lot when poked at. Locust and hedge are a couple examples that do this. Other species rarely shoot out embers and sparks like that.
What kinds of wood do you recommend? We have some oak here but not much. We don't use pine at all as we were told not to. What about hickory?

You're fortunate to have nice hardwoods that we don't see out west. Hickory is an excellent firewood as is oak, but they need at least 2 yrs to season after being split and stacked. Ash may be a good alternative. It seasons faster. But locust is really nice firewood, so if that is what you have and it's nicely seasoned, then I would definitely keep burning it. Just try not to stir it until the coals have burned down quite a bit.

Thank you for the help. I really like using the stove as we get temps in the single digits often this time of year and with power constantly going out, we find it has been quite useful.

White oak needs like a 3 years of seasoning here in ct. it’s the best wood for over night burn for me. It does spark a lot. There is nothing wrong with burning pine as long as it is seasoned.

I am in North Carolina and I burn lots of locust it is great firewood. You ought to have locust up there in north Georgia.

I burn a lot of White Oak and it rarely sparks....Hedge,Locust and Hickory will for sure.

I burn elm now and then. Sometimes it will throw off a cloud of sparks when you open the door to add more wood. It's almost like a sparkler when it does it.

What kinds of wood do you recommend? We have some oak here but not much. We don't use pine at all as we were told not to. What about hickory?

Pine is fine . . . but it does tend to pop a lot in the fire. In fact I have a load running now in my stove.

One thing to consider is on modern woodstoves most folks recommend running the stove in cycles . . . and adding wood to the hot coals (especially on the smaller size) vs. adding wood to wood still being burned can help (not always alleviate though) the shower of sparks.

As mentioned, oftentimes this can be attributed to the type of wood species used.

Thank you for the help. I really like using the stove as we get temps in the single digits often this time of year and with power constantly going out, we find it has been quite useful.
That is the beautiful thing about a wood stove! BTW...what kind of stove are you running?

Umm... maybe I miss understood. Did you say you closed your damper so you have less air flow when you open the door?

Umm... maybe I miss understood. Did you say you closed your damper so you have less air flow when you open the door?
Good catch Rick. Do you think that might contribute to the shower of sparks when the door is opened due to a sudden inrush of air occurring? I always move the air control wide open for a bit before opening the stove door, maybe 10 seconds.

Agree. One normally opens the air control to establish max draft prior to opening the door slowly, to equalize air flow inrush. I have experienced sparking surprises when forgetting to open the damper before reloading, such as that early morning reload..... I think Hickory is the best sparking wood I've seen. We burn mostly oak and some maple here. Its a shame to burn such pretty wood, but it is warm. Burn pine too if I have it, burns great and hot if dry... I burn lots of pallet wood too, that's really the only kindling I have. With my easy running Enviro, regular wood, a chunk of fire starter and some gelled alcohol to start it, really no need for much kindling... Guess that's kinda cheating tho.. ha. Super cold here tonight, been feeding her numerous times a day the past week or so. This cold weather while inconvenient is very impressive how brutal it is. All keep warm.