Help with Older insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdemp

Hearth Supporter
Jan 18, 2010
Hampton Roads
I have been reading posts on this site for a while and decided to join. I have been getting super high gas bills so I decided to get a wood-stove. Well here is the story........

My buddy (he's not a do it you-self type!) wanted to get ride of an old Treemont wood-stove insert to install a gas log. So I took it away for free! I painted it and replaced the gasket this week and instled it over the weekend.

I have never had a wood-stove before. While I did grow up with one and have read up on the subject.

That being said here's the setup and the problem...

(the set up) Its a treemont insert from about 1986 it has a glass window on the front and a blower. It also has a built in damper and 2 places/vents that air goes in 1 at the top that slides side to side with a high low indicator, the secont is on the ash pan door and also slides side to side. I have a block off plate (with insulation behind it to seal it to the brick) and am running a first flue tile 304 stainless oval pipe (I am planning to line the chim later).

(the problem) I burned it all day today and the top temp never got over 230! I know more air means more heat so I had both vents open. The thing pulls air hard when burning (you can here the draft when you crack the ash pan door open). My wood was a little damp but overly and I burned some pine and cedar.

What should I do with the damper and the vents. Any help would be great. I think that I have attached a pic but not sure.

Attachments

• woodstove 2.jpg
    woodstove 2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 353
Sounds like a fuel problem. Find some dry wood and try it out.

It was sixty degrees there today. Even with a proper liner you would not have had a a good enough draft today to get that stove hot.

Mine's burning pretty good, but not as hot as usual. (one story, insulated liner) Very dry wood though. (but sadly, we are running through it pretty fast - better save it for when it gets cold again but when we've only had the stove going a week it's hard to stop.)

Wet wood was the problem....thanks for the help.

Picked some dry logs from the middle of the pile.

Got it up to 400 on the top last night with out even trying! 80 in my den!

Puts out more heat than I will need (just to keep the gas heat from comming on all day when its real cold).

My parents had an old fisher with no window and no blower, this one at least you get to look at the fire and the blower pushed so much heat out that we left the room!

And best of all it was FREE other than paint and gaskets!

Thanks!

Free is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.