Help with Pellet Stove Install from a Novice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chrisirishmcg

Jan 3, 2020
Sandy Hook CT
Hi everyone -- I have spent the better part of a week reading posts and watching videos and I feel comfortable with my install for the most part, but I want to consult the experts back here before proceeding.

I have a free standing Quadra Fire Castille pellet stove. It was in the corner of our living room when we moved in (next to a wood burning fire place). We ended up getting a wood insert for the fireplace and moved the Castille downstairs. We now want to install it in our basement, which is about 6 feet below grade.

I've had two companies come out to give quotes and both have the same plan of attack -- come out the back of the stove and go straight up, then go out through a small window opening (which will be removed and replaced with either a metal plate or framed out and covered with dry wall). The pipe will go out the opening, and then back up a couple feet above the ground.

Both companies want over a grand for what seems to me like a pretty easy install. I still have the original vent pipe from the previous install (which was only a couple years old).

My plan would be to come out the back of the stove using a T connector with one end capped (for clean out purposes). Question 1: Should this be silicone'd?

I would then go up the six foot rise to a 90 degree connector, which would go connect to the piece of vent pipe I still have, which would go through the pass through in the now-removed window.

It would go into the window well, then back up several feet and terminate.

Question 2): The vent pipe I have is shaped essentially like an S (horizontal, then 90 degree, vertical, then 90 degree out). I would be adding another 90 degree onto this (out of the back of the stove to accommodate the initial rise). Is this too many bends?

Question 3): Right now the window well has a plastic cover on it, which I'm assuming will have to go. But I don't want to leave it uncovered as moisture could get into the well and cause problems. Any suggestions on what to cover it with?

Question 4): Where is the best place to buy parts? The install guys made it sound like I needed a specific type of pipe if I wanted to reuse the vent pipe I have, but to me it seems very standard and should work with any pipe? Am I off base here?

What else am I missing? The walls are cement, and I have a floor mat from the original install as well. Clearances should be a problem, though I want to make sure I go up far enough above grade in case we get some big snows.

I am a complete novice to this (I'm certain you can tell), but also am very handy and do lots of projects around the house. Any help would be very appreciated.

I only know the duravent pipe and tell you there are 2 types. One has a rope gasket at the joints the other has a rubber gasket. They are not interchangeable and the rope gasket type is only good for wood pellets. The rubber gasket type is for wood or multi fuel. Also, the type u use for a gas hot water heater is not for stoves. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Ssyko
In reference to your Question 4: You will need to know what brand of pipe you already have if you are planning to use it again; some brands can't be mixed with others because of the type of interlock configuration.

Reactions: Ssyko