Help with pellet stove pipe path...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jhc7399

Dec 2, 2019
Ohio
I have a feeling this is a no, no but figured I would get some opinions.

Installed this yesterday and not sure about running the rest of the pipe. Should I go up and out or the green path I have drawn?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Jeff

By the way, Castle Serenity stove.

Attachments

• 20191202_170152.jpg
    20191202_170152.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 169
What do the stove install directions say? Your manual should show you a picture that explains the requirements (go here and download the appropriate manual). Are you at least the required distance away from door, window and deck? Inside and Outside Corners also have rules.

Also note that the 2017 and newer manual, page 12, states that the total length of horizontal vent must not exceed 10 feet, you must have at least 3' of vertical and termination rules apply when near an eave (if you follow the green line)

According to the manual I can be 18" from a door or window since I am using outside air. Also I can go straight up as long as I am 24" below the eaves.

I was hoping i could take it away from all doors and windows by the path of the green line but probably too long horizontally if i have to go 2' past the corner of the roof.

Sound right?

Yeah, that horizontal seems too long to me. Can you go straight up, around and over the eave? Would probably look funky and it looks like maybe you have 3' eaves so support would be tricky, so that may not work.

Current setup terminates awful close to the door, check your local code on the proximity to windows and doors. On a practical note you may get fumes every time you let your dog out. What about a vertical rise outside that terminates above the door? The green path seems like a long horizontal run to me.

Might also want to check the minimum required height from walkway, since you're above a deck. Mine (different brand) had to be 7' from the decks surface.

Also, your intake and exhaust are awfully close together.

Last edited:
Straight up thru the roof. Too close to the door and too long of a run over the door. There is a reason why building codes require 4 feet from opening doors and windows.

The actual manual only describes "preferred" clearances.. because the actual clearances you need to conform with are based on your local building code which varies town to town, state to sate.

That stated, I concur with @GMadd on finishing up top instead of the long horizontal run if local building code permits (which looks longer than the 10 ft max with a raise of an additional 10 ft up which will require you to change the blower if you are within that spec). If you use that door to let the dog out during winter, then you might need to go through the overhang (not sure if that is feasible) to terminate above the roof. That will even avoid using 4" pipe.

Reactions: GMadd