Help with replacing old pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kneljoy

Nov 5, 2022
Vermont
I'm not sure where to start when buying a new stove. We bought a new house that came with an old Jamestown pellet stove that's from the 90s and super beat up. Out state offers rebates of $400 for replacing old stoves with new high efficiency stoves. We are also hoping to make use of the tax credits for high efficiency stoves. Since we bought a new house, our budget is low. We are considering a Quadrafire Outfitter II which is from a qualified retailer that we can get the $400 rebate from. There are other options like the comfortbilt line available at Lowe's but the rebate would not be available, however the stove would be less expensive overall. I'm not sure what direction to go in as I am new to pellet stoves, but wondering if these are stoves I should consider or if there are other lines I should be looking at. We are hoping for something small and quiet, which the outfitter does not seem to be, but also hoping for something reliable and of the highest quality a low budget will allow. If anyone has any suggestions it would be super helpful!

So you get your state credit and the federal credit. I’d go ahead and replace the whole venting system if it looks at all deteriorated. My parents have had a quadrafire now for over 15 years. It’s saw 2 tons as year for the first 8 years. Burned 50/50 corn/pellet mix for several years. It’s been a reliable unit but must be maintained. Really important if you have pets. I have no experience with other brands. I’d do a bit of research before buying. Bit don’t wait make a decision ASAP.

So you get your state credit and the federal credit. I’d go ahead and replace the whole venting system if it looks at all deteriorated. My parents have had a quadrafire now for over 15 years. It’s saw 2 tons as year for the first 8 years. Burned 50/50 corn/pellet mix for several years. It’s been a reliable unit but must be maintained. Really important if you have pets. I have no experience with other brands. I’d do a bit of research before buying. Bit don’t wait make a decision ASAP.
Thank you it helps to know that they have been reliable for others. We definitely need to make the decision soon, but I am concerned because we put a deposit down on a Quadrafire which is due to be delivered at the end of the month but apparently the order has been pushed back twice before so I'm worried it may not end up getting delivered in time for the winter which is another reason I'm considering the pelpro, because there are some of those in stock at tractor supply.

Thank you it helps to know that they have been reliable for others. We definitely need to make the decision soon, but I am concerned because we put a deposit down on a Quadrafire which is due to be delivered at the end of the month but apparently the order has been pushed back twice before so I'm worried it may not end up getting delivered in time for the winter which is another reason I'm considering the pelpro, because there are some of those in stock at tractor supply.
By yourself the Pelpro and don't open it, you can return it for a full refund within 30 days. If the Quad doesn't come in by the end of the month get your deposit back?

Reactions: EbS-P
I posted on another thread about the Outfitter II & Pelpro as I almost got a Pelpro when we replaced our stove a couple of years ago and was looking specifically for stoves with large capacity hoppers like these. I ended up getting a deal on a used Quad CAB50 that has been super easy to maintain, which is the closest in their old line to the current Outfitters. The CAB series was retired for the Outfitters, and the Outfitters are Pelpros with Quad dealer support and the ability to use a separate thermostat. They're all very similar (the CAB series had the round Quad-style burnpot like you see in some of their more expensive models but otherwise there aren't huge differences). Yes, Quads need maintenance, but they're not hard to maintain. My Quad was several years old (I got it from a hearth shop that had it as a takeout for a new stove) and it needed some love and paint but once I got it in it's heating my home fine with nothing more than routine maintenance, which I can't say for the stove it replaced. I've replaced a few things in the Quad since (exhaust fan, auger motor and thermocouple) but that was to be expected in an older stove. Super easy to get parts and maintain yourself if you're a little handy. Doesn't have a self-cleaning pot like more expensive stoves but it's so easy to clean it's no big deal. I have pets so I needed a stove that I could load up and run all weekend without touching it when we go away, and it does that. Hope your Outfitter came/comes in, but the Pelpro is pretty much the same stove if you go that route.