Help with stove selection/flue for UPSTAIRS this time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LongRangr

Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2010
N Arkansas
Thanks for all the input on basement install(earlier post.) You and the stove dealers talked us out of a basement stove to heat both the basement & upstairs. We have decided to put the stove upstairs where we really want the heat the most.
Room with stove is 850 sq ft with ceiling 8 ft to 13 ft and 3 ceiling fans. Total sq ft upstairs is 1850. 3 rooms open into the 850 sq ft room. House is 7 years old. Fairly efficient for heat loss. Arkansas - 3500 degree-days.

My lovely wife wants a enameled cast iron or soapstone stove
She wants to be able to put a big stock pot on top to heat water and cook.
A low clearance to fit back into a corner is a big plus.

We have looked at:
Jotul F400 & F3CB. Clearance is not the best.

Hearthstone Shelborne - good clearance, but have heard the ceramic baffle lasts 2-4 years at most - worried about spare parts availability long term. The Shelborne we looked at today had a 2 piece ceramic baffle. Lower baffle sheet was about 1-1/4" thick and upper ~1/2" thick-looked fairly stout.

Hampton H300 - looks to have no negatives.
Pacific Energy T5 - concerned about cooking on top. Swing out trivets don’t leave much room for bigger pot?? Or can you heat quickly on top of the trivets?
Looked at a Hearthstone Tribute today-liked the firebrick baffle but not the ceramic wool on top of baffle.

Vent questions:
She would prefer to vent horizontal - straight out the back then 45 thru wall and up the outside in a chaise for better interior look. Is this going to be an operational headache?
It IS possible to vent straight up. Might require 2-45s depending on stove selection. (To miss roof trusses.)

Any input greatly welcome - any other stoves look like good candidates?

Thanks!

LongRangr said:
Thanks for all the input on basement install(earlier post.) You and the stove dealers talked us out of a basement stove to heat both the basement & upstairs. Wise choice . . . especially when you experience the beauty that a woodstove can bring to a home -- the smell of simmering potpourri or soup on the stove, the view of the secondary burn, the snap, crackle and pop of the fire and the feel of that sweet heat . . . it's almost a shame to put a stove into a basement. We have decided to put the stove upstairs where we really want the heat the most.
Room with stove is 850 sq ft with ceiling 8 ft to 13 ft and 3 ceiling fans. Total sq ft upstairs is 1850. 3 rooms open into the 850 sq ft room. House is 7 years old. Fairly efficient for heat loss. Arkansas - 3500 degree-days.

My lovely wife wants the stove to be a robust, low maintenance piece of equipment with no fragile parts (like the Shelborne’s ceramic baffle???) I think your wife is a smart lady . . . for me reliability and the ability to heat the place were pretty important . . . more important than the way it looked even. No offense to any Hearthstone users, but I know the dealer that I bought the stove from sold several brands and he said in terms of being near bullet-proof he liked most stoves in the Jotul line up vs. the Hearthstone . . . that said . . . I don't see a lot of problems from Hearthstone users . . . or most other users of other stoves for that matter. A large part is being careful when you load the stove and when you clean the stove.

She wants to be able to put a big stock pot on top to heat water and cook. I suspect most any stove would suffice for this purpose.
The stove must be beautiful since it is in the living room. Agreed . . . it becomes part of the living space . . . a piece of furniture. As much as I love my matte black Jotul I would have to say points have to go to the soapstone stoves and enameled stoves . . . they truly look good . . . just my opinion though.
A low clearance to fit back into a corner is a big plus. I suspect many of the new stoves would give you close clearances . . . just be aware that some stoves with a corner install might come with some caveats . . . for example with a corner install of the Oslo you are not supposed to use the side loading door.
Enamel finish is a big plus - (beautiful) Uh-huh . . . if you go with the Jotul line up the blue-black finish is very sharp looking . . . still kicking myself over not spending the extra money and waiting a bit longer to get the blue-black finish.

We looked at Jotul F400 & F3CB. Clearance is not the best. Not sure what the weather is like in Arkansas vs. Maine . . . I suspect you guys get some cold weather from time to time . . . I know that I have a 1,800 square foot two-story Cape with moderate insulation here in Maine . . . the Oslo does an excellent job in heating the place -- particularly when the temps are in the teens and on up . . when I get to the single digits or sub zero temps the house stays warm, but it seems as though the larger Oslo is just holding its own . . . something to bear in mind when looking at stoves. Again, never having been to Arkansas in the winter (or any other time) . . . usually I suggest folks figure out their spacing needs and then find the stove that is sized one size larger than what they think they need
Hearthstone Shelborne - good clearance, but have heard the ceramic baffle lasts 2-4 years at most - worried about spare parts availability long term. The Shelborne we looked at today had a 2 piece ceramic baffle. Lower baffle sheet was about 1-1/4" thick and upper ~1/2" thick-looked fairly stout.
Pacific Energy T5 - concerned about cooking on top. Swing out trivets don’t leave much room for bigger pot?? Or can you heat quickly on top of the trivets?
Looked at a Hearthstone Tribute today-liked the firebrick baffle but not the ceramic wool on top of baffle. Several of these stoves that you mentioned are highly rated by members here . . . I suspect if sized correctly you would not go wrong by going with any one of them.

She would prefer to vent horizontal - straight out the back then 45 thru wall and up the outside in a chaise for better interior look. Is this going to be an operational headache?
It IS possible to vent straight up. Might require 2-45s depending on stove selection. Shelborne-yes. H300-no. (To miss roof trusses.) You should be able to go either way with your chimney . . . most folks would probably say going straight up and out is the optimal install, but I know myself, Backwoods and others have gone out (most of us up a bit and then out) with no issues . . . going straight out and then up should be fine . . . providing the horizontal pipe is pitched correctly and you have a tall enough chimney outside to establish a good draft.

Thanks!

LongRangr said:
Thanks for all the input on basement install(earlier post.) You and the stove dealers talked us out of a basement stove to heat both the basement & upstairs. We have decided to put the stove upstairs where we really want the heat the most.

My lovely wife wants a enameled cast iron or soapstone stove
She wants to be able to put a big stock pot on top to heat water and cook.
A low clearance to fit back into a corner is a big plus.

We have looked at:
Jotul F400 & F3CB. Clearance is not the best.

Looked at a Hearthstone Tribute today-liked the firebrick baffle but not the ceramic wool on top of baffle.

Vent questions:
It IS possible to vent straight up. Might require 2-45s depending on stove selection. (To miss roof trusses.)

Thanks!

As a multiple stove owner, the key thing for me is long burn times. The intrepid is my less favorite stove due to this...and a few other things. Small fire boxes are a pain to deal with. I would go with a stove like the Jotul F400 over the F3CB every time. The F3CB has short burn times.

I am looking at the Hampton H300 as a long term replacement for the Intrepid, but I am concerned about the 1.71 cu ft firebox.

LongRangr said:

The intrepid is vented out the back with a 90 bend that then goes up through the chimney. I still have a really strong draft.

What we are considering is going straight out the back, 45 degree elbow, then more horizontal thru wall, then up the outside of the house. How much vertical run might be needed to get good draft? And do you think it would be tricky to get a fire started with a setup like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.