Help with this stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Szora

Jul 12, 2017
Maine
I've recently bought a cabin(the cabin itself is about 25 years old so i'm assuming the stove is at least that old as well) that has this wood burning stove.I have never used one and cannot find anything about this specific one (The Mountaineer), I was hoping someone could give me some information about this stove and how to use it. Don't know if this counts as classic or not sorry. Could really use the help and would really appreciate it.
DSC_0880.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Fisher copy from the late 70's or early 80's. Any operation tips in the Fisher Forum can pertain to its use.

Installation info as well, using NFPA 211 unlisted clearance specs of 36 inches to any combustible material.
This can be reduced by 66% (to minimum of 12 inches) by the use of an approved heat shield. Non-combustible shield must have min. 1 inch air space behind it and have air intakes at the bottom to allow rising hot air to escape behind it. Setting the shield on a few bricks laid flat on floor protector allows good circulation. No wall support stand offs in center line of stove. Full size brick in contact with combustible wall allows 33% reduction to 24 inches.

Your floor protection in front of stove may be below minimum of 18 inches as well.

Last edited:
Fisher copy from the late 70's or early 80's. Any operation tips in the Fisher Forum can pertain to its use.

Installation info as well, using NFPA 211 unlisted clearance specs of 36 inches to any combustible material.
This can be reduced by 66% (to minimum of 12 inches) by the use of an approved heat shield. Non-combustible shield must have min. 1 inch air space behind it and have air intakes at the bottom to allow rising hot air to escape behind it. Setting the shield on a few bricks laid flat on floor protector allows good circulation. No wall support stand offs in center line of stove. Full size brick in contact with combustible wall allows 33% reduction to 24 inches.

Your floor protection in front of stove may be below minimum of 18 inches as well.

Thanks so Much!
One more question though. On the side of the chimney there is a handle that twists forward and back,I don't know what it does but it feels like it may be closing something in it? I couldn't find anything about this on the fisher forum. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Thanks so Much!
One more question though. On the side of the chimney there is a handle that twists forward and back,I don't know what it does but it feels like it may be closing something in it? I couldn't find anything about this on the fisher forum. Any ideas?
That is a pipe damper it has a plate inside that partially closes the flue off. the plate is in line wih the handle so when the handle is across the pipe the damper is closed.

It looks to me like there are some pretty serious problems with clearances unless the wall behind the stove is actually solid brick. Even the wood on the edges of that brick wall may be to close. And the floor protection absolutely is not adequate. I really strongly suggest having a chimney pro come out and inspect the setup and give you a quick lesson on how to run your stove. And get a thermometer for the pipe.